Mountaineer Field House Student Manager
The Student Manager position is a student leadership role for the Mountaineer Field House front desk staff and is integrated as part of the Management Team. This role is diverse and encompasses many components. Duties include but are not limited to: supervision, scheduling, and training of staff, development and implementation of policies and procedures, oversight of the facility, and providing positive public relations and service to customers. Duties and responsibilities are split amongst the Management Team and modified to reflect the specific strengths of each manager. Student Managers are held to a high standard and are expected to conduct themselves professionally at all times and must have extensive knowledge about the Mountaineer Field House. Student Managers report directly to the Fitness Center Manager.
- Plan and conduct staff trainings.
- Assist in hiring student staff.
- Contribute to policy decisions, staff development, and conflict resolution.
- Resolve staff conflicts and provide unbiased decisions.
- Develop staff schedule and assist in finding coverage when staff is unable.
- Cover shifts during scheduling gaps and staff emergencies.
- Lead weekly meetings with Management Team and Fitness Center Manager.
- Perform manager on duty shifts to assist and evaluate staff.
- Perform staff check-ins towards the beginning and towards the end of each semester.
- Mandated to report all Title IX offenses such as sexual violence, sexual assault, and sexual harassment.
- Required minimum of 5 office hours per week.
FACILITY AND ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES
- Assist in the day-to-day management of the facility through overseeing staff and providing customer service.
- Develop manuals for systems, procedures, policies, and staff training.
- Update cleaning checklists as needed, update bulletin boards, send out weekly emails, assign monthly lost and found attendants, and nominate a monthly Mountaineer of the Month.
- Provide positive public relations through communication with patrons and problem-solving membership issues.
- Handle customer issues prior to professional staff.
- Add to the customer experience through providing a service-oriented environment for all customers and staff.
- Serve as a role model to other student staff and facility members.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Must be currently enrolled at Western Colorado University with at least 6 credits.
- Knowledge of Mountaineer Field House operations, programs, and mission is desired.
- Exhibit leadership qualities in the work place and have a genuine interest in supporting staff members.
- Current CPR, AED and First Aid certifications or willing to obtain within 3 months of hiring.
- Willingness and ability to work early morning, night, weekend, and finals shifts.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and adapt to changes as they occur.
- Effective communication skills and express strong problem-solving and planning skills.
Students must complete the Mountaineer Field House Applications, the Staff Availability form, and submit a resume to be considered for hire. If you are not currently working at the MFH, please complete both Facility Membership Attendant AND Student Manager applications. Please ensure application is typed. Students will be contacted via Western email.
Application and Staff Availability forms can be picked up at the Front Desk or can be emailed by contacting Jessica Thomas, Fitness Center Manager, at email@example.com.