Grades and Grade-Point Average

For the purpose of calculating a student’s grade-point average (which determines academic standing), numerical values are assigned to letter grades on the following scale.


= 4.000 grade points


= 2.000 grade points


= 3.670 grade points


= 1.670 grade points


= 3.330 grade points


= 1.330 grade points


= 3.000 grade points


= 1.000 grade points


= 2.670 grade points


= 0.670 grade points


= 2.330 grade points


= 0.000 grade points

Computation of Grade-Point Average (GPA)

Only grades earned through Western are used to calculate GPA. To obtain grade points earned in a course, multiply the number of credits per course by the numerical points for the grade earned in the course. Following is an example of a GPA calculation for 12 credits earned by a student taking four courses with each course worth three credits.

Course #1 – Grade Earned = B

(3 cr) X (3.000 pts)

= 9.000 grade points

Course #2 – Grade Earned = C+

(3 cr) X (2.330 pts)

= 6.999 grade points

Course #3 – Grade Earned = C

Total GPA credits = 12

(3 cr) X (2.000 pts)

Total grade points

= 6.000 grade points

= 30.000

A student’s semester GPA is calculated by dividing total grade points by total GPA credits (30.000/12 = 2.500 GPA). A student’s cumulative GPA is calculated by dividing all grade points earned by all GPA credits.

All grade-point averages at Western are calculated to three decimal places and all requirements specifying grade-point averages (e.g., scholarships) are stated in terms of three decimal places.

Repetition of Courses

A student who has received a low grade in a course can improve his/her cumulative grade-point average by repeating that course and earning a higher grade. If the student repeats a course under the same title and/or number, only the credits and grade points of the most recent enrollment in that course (even if the repeated course grade is lower) are used in determining whether a requirement has been met and in calculating that student’s cumulative GPA. In addition, the following conditions apply to repeating a course:

Variable-credit courses are handled as exceptions to the policy on course repetition. A student who wishes to enroll in a variable-credit course to repeat credit previously taken under that course number, but not for additional available credit under that same course number, must contact the Office of the Registrar.

Students wishing to repeat and replace the grade from a course taken on National Student Exchange or a Study Abroad program must send a letter of petition to the Registrar.

Course work repeated after the undergraduate degree has been recorded on the student academic record will not be included in the undergraduate GPA.

Grades Assigned Other Than A, B, C, D, F

At the discretion of the faculty member teaching the course, a student who is unable to complete a course for reasons beyond the student’s control (e.g., illness) may be assigned an “Incomplete” (IN). The student must have completed more than one-half of the course work at an acceptable level at the time of the request for an “Incomplete.” The student and the faculty member must agree upon a plan for the completion of the work within a time period not to exceed one calendar year. When faculty give an "Incomplete", they must designate the student’s existing grade in the course, the work to be completed for the “Incomplete” to be removed, and also indicate the grade that will be automatically given after one year if the work is not satisfactorily completed.

A grade of “Technical Failure” (TF) indicates that the student discontinued participation in the course without official approval. A “TF” is assigned 0.000 grade points.

Selected courses have been approved to be graded as “Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory” only and are so noted in their course descriptions. Only grades of “S” or “U” may be recorded for courses so designated. The grade of “S” is equivalent to letter grades of C- or above. The grade of “U” is equivalent to the letter grades of D+ or below, and no credits are earned. In no case may the grade of “S” or “U” be converted to a traditional letter grade. The S/U grade cannot be used in classes which allow the letter grades A-F.

Some courses or projects are intended to last longer than one semester. Such courses may be designated by the department or department chair at the time of registration and will be given an “In Progress” designation at the end of the semester. The “In Progress” (IP) designation can be used for a maximum of one year, the end of which a grade must be assigned. Grades of “IN,” “IP,” “NC,” “W,” “S” and “U” are not counted in the computation of a student’s grade-point average (GPA). Since “S” is not counted in calculation of grade point, it does not assist the student toward inclusion on the Dean’s List or Honors designation at commencement.

“Incomplete” (IN) or “In   Progress” (IP) grades completed after the undergraduate degree has been posted will not be included in the undergraduate GPA.

Attendance-Related Grades

A course grade of “Technical Failure” (TF) may be assigned by course instructors for students who failed to attend classes but who did not officially withdraw from the course. “TF” is assigned 0.000 grade points for purposes of computing grade-point averages. Whether students have completed enough of the course to be assigned a grade other than “W,” “TF” or “IN” (see sections explaining letter grades) is determined by the respective course instructors.

Grade Corrections

Faculty members must submit requests for grade corrections to the Registrar within one year following the recording of the incorrect grade.