Study Away Financial Aid

Western can help guide you in securing funding for your exchange and/or ensuring equal tuition rates while you’re away as a National Exchange Student. Make sure to complete the following required steps for study abroad financial aid before your exchange.

Step 1: Complete your FAFSA

  • Go to the FAFSA website and file your report as you would for any other academic year
  • For NSE host payment exchanges include host school FAFSA code available at

Step 2: Set up e-Refund for FAFSA or Scholarships

Complete the following steps to set up e-Refund:

  • Log-in to MyWestern
  • Click on ‘Student & Financial Aid Menu’
  • Click on ‘Financial Service and Billing’
  • Click on ‘Account Summary by Term’ or ‘Account Summary’
  • Scroll to the bottom and select ‘Pay My Bill’
  • Set up e-Refund
    • Tip: Be sure to have your bank routing and account number available when completing these steps

Step 3: Complete All Financial Aid Requirements

  • Check with Western's Financial Aid office to ensure you've completed all the necessary aid requirements for Western before your departure.
  • Apply for the Parent Plus Loan (optional)
    • Applying for this loan is only necessary if additional aid is needed. This must be done before the Financial Verification step.

Step 4: Complete your financial verification form

  • Before departing, you must complete your financial verification form, usually located in the application portal of your exchange provider
  • Take this completed form as well as a bill or invoice to Tanner Stillwell, Western's Study Away financial advisor

Important information to consider

  • Financial aid awards are released after grades are posted in the spring
    • One award and/or scholarship is issued for the academic year
  • Funds are dispersed in two portions, once in the Fall and once in the Spring
    • Release dates are 10 days before the first day of class any semester
  • Summer aid is dependent on what is not used by student during prior Fall and Spring semesters
  • All awards and scholarships are paid to the student first and the student is responsible for paying for their program (except for semester exchanges with Harlaxton).
    • If e-Refund is not set up and the funds are dispersed after your departure, your check is kept at the Cashier’s Office or mailed to your address on file and you won’t be able to deposit it.
  • If your award does not cover the cost of exchange, the remaining balance is expected before the due date specified by the program provider

For additional questions, please contact Tanner Stillwell.