Study Abroad & Exchange Programs


Studying abroad or at another university can provide the experience of a lifetime. You meet people from other countries, learn new customs—maybe even a new language—and take new courses.


Study Abroad students have more than 140 opportunities and can go almost anywhere in the world, but they enroll through a third party provider. Students can attend any National Student Exchange (NSE) school in the U.S., U.S. territory or Canada with the option of paying Western tuition and fees. Whatever route you choose, you are bound to have experiences of a lifetime and return to Western enriched with new perspectives. 

Students have studies in Argentina, Australia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, England, France, Greece, Harlaxton, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Russia, Semester at Sea and Thailand. 

Earning Credit

All credits transfer back to Western when a student studies with an affiliate provider. Courses can be taken abroad that will fill major and minor requirements as well. Students have access to financial aid, loans or scholarships they are receiving through Western when studying with an affiliate provider. 


  • Have at least a 2.5 GPA
  • Be a degree-seeking student
  • Have completed 24 credit hours at Western
  • Be enrolled full-time the semester before participating
  • Be in good standing with Student Affairs 

Getting Started

  1. Visit affiliate provider websites.
  2. Meet with [embed:link:node:15710], Western’s Study Away Coordinator.
  3. Apply for a passport if you don’t have one.
  4. Talk with your academic advisor about timing, credit transfer and program type.
  5. Apply for the program (best if you apply at least one semester before). 
  6. Meet with Tanner Stillwell, Western's Exchange Program Financial Aid Advisor, to discuss payment options.
  7. Submit a Transfer Pre-Approval Form to Carrie Reinecke at the Registrar. 


Want more scholarships? Visit the Gilman and Boren Scholarship websites.