Schedule an Appointment
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1-5 p.m.
Walk-Ins: Monday-Friday 2-3 p.m. It is highly recommended students call the counseling center (970.642.4615) before arriving to ensure availability. This service is on a first come, first serve basis.
Coverage: All Insurance is accepted in addition to Western counseling benefits. (Please speak with a counselor if you have concerns about payment.)
The Counseling Center is open when school is in session. See the academic calendar for dates.
Call: 970.252.6220 (available 24 hours a day, seven days a week) or 911
Tell them you are calling from Western in Gunnison, and give them your phone number and name. Wait by the phone. They should call back within 15 minutes. If your call is not returned within 15 minutes, call again.
Direct Visit: Gunnison Valley Hospital Emergency Room (711 N. Taylor St.)
Ask them to page the Mental Health Emergency Professional on call (there may be charges for the hospital and lab)
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800.273.TALK(8255)
En espanol: 888.628.9484
What to do
- Listen and express concern in a non-judgmental way.
- Take action! Get connected with professional help.
- Ask questions openly. Do you have a plan to end your life? Would you talk with someone who can offer treatment or support?
- Show that you care.
- Take suicide threats seriously.
What not to do
- Keep it a secret.
- Sidestep the issue or treat it lightly.
- Leave the person alone.
- Offer simple solutions.
- Offer or suggest drugs or alcohol
- Try to be a therapist. Get professional help.