Roles and Responsibilities in Post Award Administration
Responsibilities of the Principal Investigator
- Proper technical conduct of the research effort
- Compliance with the terms and conditions of the sponsored agreement
- Manage project funds within the approved budget
- Timely completion and submission of required technical reports
- Comply with all university and sponsor policies and procedures pertinent to the award
Responsibilities of the College and Department
Sponsored grant activity is conducted as a university and department function. As such, the departments associated with an award are expected to monitor its fiscal status and assist the principal investigator/project director in resolving issues. The departments are responsible for covering any costs incurred beyond the award amount, or any expenditures disallowed as the result of an audit.
Responsibilities of the Office of Sponsored Programs
The Office of Sponsored Programs provides accounting and other administrative services to assist the principal investigators/project directors in:
- Managing the financial aspects of their projects
- Meeting sponsor needs for fiscal reports
- Providing financial accounting to sponsors for the activity funded
All grants are subject to an audit.