All sponsored projects are considered to be restricted funds.
Thus all charges to sponsored projects must be:
- Reasonable, allowable, and allocable to the project
- In accordance with program plans and objectives
- Clearly required for the project
- Consistent with the budget established for the project (in total, by category, or by line item, depending on sponsor requirements)
- Incurred within the project time period
- In accordance with sponsor regulations, university policy, and Office of Sponsored Programs procedures for implementing those regulations and policies
Any deviations from the above require justification and/or additional sponsor approval. Sponsored program officers can provide information and advice on what may or may not be charged to a sponsored project and they can assist in seeking required approvals.