Applicants for the Calkins-Barge Mathematics Scholarship:
- Must be a Mathematics major entering junior or senior year and having satisfactorily completed Mathematics 220, Introduction to Advanced Mathematics.
- Must have a GPA of 2.670 or higher.
- Preference will be given to a current student-athlete (NCAA sport) or a first responder.
- If a student-athlete (NCAA sport), preference will be given to members of the Wrestling Team.
- If a first responder, applicant must be an active member with a Gunnison Valley Service Provider and preference will be given to members of the Gunnison Volunteer Fire Department.
- Recipients may reapply unless they fail to maintain eligibility.
The Calkins-Barge Mathematics Scholarship has been established by Glenn R. and Leila M. (Barge) Calkins to provide scholarship assistance to Western students majoring in mathematics. This scholarship serves to honor Western Graduates: Hazel, Glenn's mother (Elementary Education - 1932); Glenn (Mathematics and Physics -1962); Shane (Mathematics - 2016), Glenn and Leila's son. This Scholarship also honors Glenn and Leila, who taught in the Mathematics & Computer Science Department at Western. Glenn taught from 1978-2000, and Leila from 1986-2009. Finally, we honor William Calkins, Glenn's father who attended and was employed at Western, and Jesse and Mary Barge, Leila's parents, who fell in love with Western and the Gunnison Valley.
The deadline for applying shall be April 1 to be considered for the following academic year.
The Mathematics faculty and Financial Aid staff will assemble those applications which meet the stated criteria. Recipients will be selected by Glenn and Leila Calkins, in consultation with the Director of Financial Aid.