Housing Appeals Guide

This guide is meant to help students prepare appeals to the requirement to live on campus at Western Colorado University. Utilizing this guide does not guarantee that a housing appeal will result in an appeal being granted but it will provide the student with the information that will allow them to make an appeal that will receive consideration by the Housing Appeals Board. Please allow two to four weeks for a decision. 

Student Live-On Requirement:

All students are required to live on campus for their first two years in attendance at Western Colorado University. Students in their first year are required to have double occupancy and reside in Living-Learning Communities, which are located in traditional Residence Hall units. All students residing in traditional residence halls are required to have a meal plan. Students in their second year may continue to live in traditional residence halls or, if available, opt to live in apartment style housing where a meal plan is not required. Exceptions to these requirements must be approved by the Director of Residence Life and will only be granted under the following circumstances: 

(1) The student is married; students who are in civil unions or will be should be able to produce a license as documentation and to have the requirement to live on campus waived.

(2) The student is living with parents or legal guardian; student who will be residing with a parent or a legal guardian and commuting to school must have their parent provide proof of residence. Additionally, that residence must be within a reasonable commuting distance of the campus.

(3) The student is at least 21 years of age by the first day of classes; students who will be 21 years of age prior to the first day of classes in the fall semester must notify the Director of Residence Life that they do not wish to live on campus. A simple check of the student’s birthday will be enough to waive the live-on requirement. Students who turn 21 after the first day of classes may still appeal, but the appeal will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

(4) The student has lived on campus for the equivalent of two full academic years at another college or University, or at Western; students who have transferred into Western and have lived on campus for one or two years at a previous institution will need to have the institution verify with the Office of Residence Life at Western that they have lived on campus for one or two years. Students who have transferred into Western with only one year of having lived on campus at their previous institution will only need to live on campus at Western for one year.

(5) The student is an honorably discharged veteran; students who are honorably discharged veterans need only produce their discharge papers in order to not be held to the two year live-on requirement.

Students who are enrolled during any part of a term and do not meet these requirements will be assigned a space and required to pay all room and board charges associated with the space for the term. Students who fall below full time status are still subject to the live on requirement for the full contract period.

Contract Termination/Cancelation: 

A student may cancel/terminate their Housing Contract at any time without penalty under any of the following circumstances:

  1. Marriage
  2. Graduation
  3. Military Duty
  4. Untimely Death of an Immediate Family Member
  5. Serious Medical Condition
  6. Significant Financial Hardship (must have occurred after the contract was signed)
  7. Withdrawal from the University.

Please reference the XII. Residence Life Policies in the Student Handbook for further information regarding these exemptions.

Written notice must be provided to the Director of Residence Life along with the appropriate documentation in order to be approved for the contract termination and to receive a refund of the housing deposit and any portion of the housing fees as described in section #6 of this housing contract. This Contract will be considered null and void with no financial obligation if the student does not enroll at Western, however, any cancelation of this contract made after July 1st will result in a forfeit of the $100 deposit. Students, whether they have signed a contract or not are required to live on campus for two years if they are under the age of 21 years. Those who fail to complete a contract but who are registered for classes are subject to the same terms contained in this contract.

Appeals that pertain to special placement such as a single room or in an apartment or medical appeals must be authorized as a disability and be registered in the Academic Resource Center with the Disability Coordinator. Additionally, we can only grant such appeals if there is the availability of the type of housing required. 

 Please note that the consideration of a medical appeal will not take in to consideration any medical marijuana documentation.