Getting Started

A Step-by-Step Guide to Applying to Western and Receiving VA Educational Benefits:

1. Apply for Admission, and be accepted to Western Colorado University.

  • Request Official Transcripts (Military and/or other) to be sent to Western for transfer credit evaluation

2. Once accepted, contact the Academic Resource Center (ARC).

  • The ARC will assist you with step-by-step instructions regarding the registration process.
  • If you are a Chapter 33 Post 9/11 G.I. Bill recipient, you are eligible for a TUITION DEPOSIT WAIVER. Contact the Office of Veterans Services for details.

3. Apply for Financial Aid. 

  • Complete the free application for Federal Aid (FASFA)
  • If you are eligible for in-state tuition, you MUST complete the College Opportunity Fund (COF) application.
  • If you are not a resident of Colorado, you may be eligible for a Military Exemption. Please contact the Office of Veterans Services for more details.
  • For any questions or information regarding loans, aid, scholarships, or grants that you may be eligible for in addition to VA benefits, you may contact the Financial Aid office directly at 970.943.3085.

4. Apply for VA Educational Benefits to determine what benefits you are eligible for:

  • Have you used your VA educational benefits at any other institution? If so, you need to complete a Change of Program or Place of Training Form 22-1995 and submit it to the VA. The VA Certifying Official will also need a copy for your file.
  • The VA Certifying Official will need a copy of your Application for VA Benefits and a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility. These documents can be emailed (see contact information on the left).

5. Contact the Western Office of Veterans Services directly:

  • Inform the VA Certifying Official that you are an accepted student and when you plan on attending.
  • Ensure that you have completed and sent in all of the necessary paper-work.