Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register for class?

Continuing students must schedule an advising appointment with your assigned advisor to retrieve your Registration Code, then self register on your MyWestern account. New students may follow the instructions indicated in by the Academic Resource Center for your student type.

How do I get a copy of my schedule?

You may check your schedule on-line anytime, anywhere. Remember to check/print a copy of your schedule to assure its accuracy before classes begin and before major deadlines.

To view your schedule, logon to your student account and go to "Student," "Registration," then "Student Schedule by Day and Time," for your daily schedule. "Student Detail Schedule" will list instructors.

Who is my advisor?

You may look up your advisor through your student account or DegreeWorks. Logon and go to "Student," "Registration," and "Check Your Registration Status." One way to meet with your advisor is to contact your advisor during his/her faculty office hours.

What is the Four-Year Graduation Plan?

It is the goal of Western Colorado University to provide students access to courses required for timely graduation. If a student signs the Four-year Graduation Plan Agreement and fulfills all of the conditions and is still unable to graduate in four years, the University will incur the tuition of the additional coursework required for the degree.

How can my parents get access to my grades?

In accordance with federal law, no one can access your academic record without written consent from you (the student). If you want your parents (or other interested parties) to have access to your grades, you must fill out an Academic Records Release form which can be found under your MyWestern account.

  1. Log into your MyWestern account
  2. Click on: Student -> Student Records -> Academic Records Release

How do I drop a class? How do I withdraw from a class? What's the difference?

You can drop a class through your MyWestern account during the first 15 percent of the class meetings. For deadlines, see the Office of the Registrar homepage.

A dropped class doesn't show up on your transcript and doesn't impact your GPA.

After the drop period, and until two-thirds of the class is complete, you can withdraw from a class with approval from the instructor and your advisor. You must complete the Course Withdrawal form (located in the Office of the Registrar) and return it to 300 Taylor Hall, for processing. For deadlines, see the Office of the Registrar homepage.

A withdrawn class will receive a grade of "W," but the grade doesn't impact your GPA.

What do I do if a class is closed?

If a class is closed, or requires instructor permission, you need to contact the instructor for online permission. Once the instructor gives you online permission, you can add the class through your MyWestern account.

How do I get credits to transfer?

If you are a continuing student at Western and take coursework classes at another institution, or if you want to return to Western after taking classes at another institution, you need to have official transcripts sent to Western to be evaluated.

Send the official transcripts to:

1 Western Way
Western Colorado University
Gunnison, CO, 81231

If you know in advance you will take credits at another institution, you can fill out a Transfer Pre-Approval form, available in the Office of the Registrar.

I need an enrollment verification for my insurance company, what do I do?

Western Colorado University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide enrollment and degree verifications.

As a student, you may access FREE Student Self-Service:

  1. Log into your MyWestern account
  2. Click on: Student -> Student Records -> Enrollment Verification

Others needing verification may obtain a certificate through The National Student Clearinghouse directly by visiting, or by contacting:

National Student Clearinghouse
13454 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 300
Herndon, VA  20171
Phone:  703.742.4200 (M-F, 9 a.m.-7 p.m., EST)
Fax:  703.742.4239

How do I change my address?

The Office of the Registrar maintains all student address information. You can change your address by electronically submitting a Change of Address form, or email your change to us. Include your full name, student number and which address you want to update.

How do I change my major or advisor?

Pick up a "Change of Major/Advisor" form in the Office of the Registrar, 300 Taylor Hall. Have your new advisor sign the form (if you are changing majors, get a new advisor in the new major) and return the form to the Office of the Registrar.

How do I get my grades?

Grades can be accessed by logging into your MyWestern account and clicking Student -> Student Records -> then Final Grades or Transcript or DegreeWorks.

How do I get a transcript?

Transcripts may be ordered online through the National Student Clearinghouse. Requests submitted will be received for processing on the next business day. Please allow 2-3 business days for processing. Expedited transcript requests must be received by 12:00 noon (MST) for same day processing.

  • Go to
  • Follow the online instructions and submit payment information. Payment must be made by credit/debit card.

Payment Information

  • $6 for a transcript picked up in 300 Taylor Hall or mailed through the Postal Service.
  • $32 for a rush transcript that will be sent overnight delivery. This fee includes the transcript price, a rush processing fee and the delivery charge.