AP, CLEP, and IB Credit
The following links provide specific equivalencies for individual tests. A minimum score of 3 is required for credit to be granted for most AP tests (some require a minimum of 4). Western will grant IB credit for tests with a score of 4 or better. Western will award a maximum of 18 credits for CLEP exams.
Western will award course credit for prior learning to students who successfully test out of GT Pathways courses by receiving a score equivalent to a grade of C- on a course challenge exam. Challenge exams are created by discipline faculty for GT Pathways courses for which a CLEP exam is not available. A list of GT Pathways courses with challenge exams, as well as challenge exam policies, is available on the Office of the Registrar web page. Western allows a maximum of 18 credits for any combination of CLEP and challenge exams. Credits received through challenge exams will not count toward satisfying Western’s residency requirement.
- Student must be enrolled full-time at Western at the time the challenge exam is administered..
- Challenge exams are only available for GT Pathways courses and are not offered if a CLEP exam exists for the course.
- Students must complete challenge exams prior to the completion of 100 credit hours.
- Students may not challenge a course if they have earned credit for higher numbered or subsequent course in the same discipline.
- The challenge exam must be completed in one sitting, within the time limit imposed by the discipline.
- Students are not eligible for a challenge exam if they have previously been awarded a grade and credit for the course at Western or any other institution.
- The challenge exam may not be used to replace any course that has previously been transcripted.
- Students may not challenge a course in which they are currently enrolled.
- A course may only be challenged one time.
- All challenge exams will receive a grade of Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory; to achieve a grade of Satisfactory a student must complete the exam with a grade equivalent of C- (70 percent) or higher; only Satisfactory grades will be recorded on the transcript.
- Challenge exam credits will count toward graduation requirements, but will not satisfy residency requirements and will not be factored into the Western GPA.
- There is a $100 fee for each Challenge Exam.