Susan Coykendall, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
How did you discover Western?
It was a job listed in the Chronicle of Higher Education and it was in Colorado and I thought Colorado would be a fun place to live. I was also single and it seemed to be a place where there would be dating possibilities.
What are some of the highlights of your career?
- Teaching from the heart for many years
- Being selected numerous times by students as a faculty member in the Alumni Awards of Excellence process
- Becoming a licensed psychologist
- Serving as an expert witness in a variety of court cases
- Working for the State of Colorado as a competency evaluator
What most excites you about your field?
I get to teach people about mental illness and related conditions. Education reduces stigma. I help people connect with other people in a meaningful way. I also try to teach people to care about one another.
What is your favorite thing about the Gunnison Valley?