Brian Bernhardt, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Politics & Government
- HWTR 100: Local Food in the Gunnison Valley
- POLS 117: Introduction to Political Ideas
- POLS 180: Introduction to American Politics
- POLS 250: Politics of the Environment
- POLS 255: Introduction to Comparative Politics
- POLS 300: Constitutional Law I
- POLS 310: Political Theory II - Late Modern and Contemporary
- POLS 340: Politics of Social Movements
- POLS 370: Political Economy
- POLS 376: American Political Thought
- POLS 485: Studies in Political Theory - Democracy and the State
Research and Teaching Interests
- Anti-Authoritarian Social Movements
- Democratic Theory and Practice
- Environmental Politics, Extractive Industries, and Food Systems
- The Political Economy of Capitalism, Neoliberalism, and Globalization
- The State and the Politics of Non-State Peoples
Working at Western is a dream come true and I am thrilled to call this beautiful area home! You’ll often find me exploring the Gunnison Country’s vast public lands on foot, bike or skis–frequently with my dogs running along.
I am also a devoted short-season vegetable gardener and passionate about cooking with locally-sourced ingredients. One of my great joys in life is spending hours in the kitchen, turning home-grown food into a rich–and, inevitably, really spicy–home-cooked meal.