New Student Orientation Programs
New Student Orientation (first-year students): Aug. 21-25
Over the five days (Aug. 21-25), students will rotate through four blocks of programming, which include: a Headwaters 100 service learning project introduction to academic resources; “Life at Western” to learn about college life and the social issues that come with it; and Wilderness Pursuits trips or walking tours of the local communities. Activities also include programs for families and guests, a Welcome Barbecue and evening events hosted by student clubs and organizations.
- New Student Orientation is required for all first-year students and transfer students with 23 credits or less who are also under 21.
- Students are signed up automatically when registering for classes.
- The fee for this program is $250, and it will be applied to the student's account.
- Please plan on arriving to campus on Wednesday, Aug. 21 between 8 a.m.-2 p.m. During this time, you will need to move into your assigned residence hall (only until 1 p.m.), check in for Orientation at the University Center and pick up your Mountaineer ID (both from 8 a.m.-2 p.m.).
Transfer & Nontraditional Student Orientation: Aug. 23
This afternoon program is designed to meet these students' specific needs. Students will learn important information unique to Western. It is required for all new students with transfer (24 or more credits) or nontraditional student status. The program begins at 1 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 23 in the University Center.
(Note: If you are attending this program and living on campus, you may begin moving into your assigned residence hall on Friday, Aug. 23, beginning at 9 a.m.)
- If you are transferring to Western with 24 or more credits: you will attend Transfer & Nontraditional Student Orientation, which will be on Friday, Aug. 23 from 1-5 p.m. The cost for this program is $50 and it will be applied to your student account.
- If you have 23 or fewer credits and are under the age of 21: you will attend New Student Orientation for first-year students, which begins on Wednesday, Aug. 21. (See New Student Orientation for first-year students tab.)
- If you are 21 or older and entering Western with less than 24 credits, you will choose between the two programs. The Orientation Office will contact you to discuss your options after you register for classes, though you will be signed up for New Student Orientation for first-year students.
Parent & Family Orientation: Aug. 21 and 22
During the first two days of New Student Orientation, we invite families to join their students on campus. On Wednesday, Aug. 21 and Thursday, Aug. 22, we offer educational sessions and social activities to introduce you to the community and help families with their transition to Western. The fee is $50 per person, which includes programming, a Welcome Appetizer Reception, and breakfast and lunch on Aug. 22.
Summer Wilderness Based Orientation (WBO): Aug. 16-20
This OPTIONAL program, taken IN ADDITION to one of the New Student Orientation programs, gives you the ultimate unique experience! Join other new students on courses varying in time and difficulty that venture into the Colorado backcountry. Each course is led by some of our finest student leaders who give you instruction on adventure activities and beginning college. There is an additional fee for this program. Learn more about Wilderness Based Orientation.
All new students entering Western are required to participate in one of the New Student Orientation programs (not including WBO). Students will be automatically signed up for Orientation after registering for classes and will receive a confirmation email with additional details.