Congratulations on Your Admission to Western!
Whether you are transferring from another institution, returning to higher education to expand your knowledge and career options, or fresh out of high school, Orientation is your gateway to a comfortable transition into college. We hope that you take advantage of this time to meet other new students and get a glimpse of all that life at Western State Colorado University has to offer. During this time, we will gear you up for academic success by introducing you to the many resources that Western provides, as well as show you the many opportunities you have to get involved with the unique clubs and organizations on campus and in the Gunnison Valley.
Spring Orientation is required for all new students entering Western for Spring Semester. You will be signed up automatically when you register for classes. The cost of attending the program is $50 and this charge will be applied directly to your student account.
Please note: New students may also move into their assigned residence hall from 9 am-12:30 pm on Saturday, Jan. 12.
If you have any questions or would like additional information,
please call the Orientation Office at (970) 943-2469.
What will you do during Orientation?
- Learn about how to achieve academic success at Western.
- Learn how to access MyWestern, your portal to all campus information and Western email.
- Learn about opportunities to get involved with the unique clubs and organizations on campus.
- Hear from Financial Aid.
- Explore majors and career opportunities.
- Learn about recreational opportunities in the Gunnison and Crested Butte areas.
- Get your Mountaineer Card. This card will be your official student ID and will give you access to the library, fitness center and athletic events. Depending on how you wish to utilize your card, you will also be able to use it at Mad Jacks (retail dining), the Bookstore, games area, campus laundry facilities, soda/vending machines, copy machines, Wilderness Pursuits trips or gear rentals and even for pizza delivery in Gunnison. Please bring an alternate ID, like a driver's license, to show the staff.
- Submit Immunization Records and Selective Service Registration. You should receive these materials along with your Orientation confirmation letter. All students must comply with immunization and selective service policies. For specific information, contact the Student Affairs Office at (970) 943-2090.
Before your orientation
Registration for Classes
- Please be registered for classes before you attend Orientation. Visit Registration and Course Information.
Think About It
- This is a required course that all new students are required to take. You will receive an invitation to take the course from Campus Clarity; it will be sent to your Western email. It examines the interconnected issues of hooking up, drug and alcohol abuse, sexual violence and healthy relationships through the lens of self-reflection and social justice. You will not be able to receive your Mountaineer ID Card without having completed the course, so it is important that you set aside time to complete the program.
Secure your Financing
- Submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by visiting www.fafsa.ed.gov. Your Financial Aid Award Letter should reach you six to eight weeks after completing your FAFSA and any other required paperwork. If you have any questions, please contact Financial Aid at (970) 943-3085.
- For Colorado Residents: Apply for the College Opportunity Fund (COF) stipend. Visit www.collegeincolorado.org to apply. This stipend will apply to your account each semester you register for classes and lower your tuition bill! Note: This is a one time application that will require your Social Security number, legal name, and date of birth.
Reserve your housing and meal plan
- Pay the $100 housing deposit through your MyWestern account by selecting Student & Financial Aid Menu > Pay Bill or Tuition/Housing Deposit > Items for Purchase, Housing Deposit. You may also pay your deposit by check (payable to "Western State Colorado University"), or credit card by contacting the Cashier's Office at 970.943.3003.
- Visit housing.western.edu, to complete the housing contract and lifestyle questionnaire. This will open in November.
- For questions on the housing process, contact the Residence Life office at 970.943.2101 or email@example.com.
- If you are a transfer student, have you heard about Westerners in Transition (WIT)? WIT is Western State Colorado University's premiere program for Adult Learners and Nontraditional students. WIT will guide you through the processes of navigating admissions, financial aid, registration, and other important steps involved in matriculating into Western. You will meet other students who share your experiences of going to college as an adult learner and can provide essential mentoring as you work toward your goal of a college degree. For more information, please contact the LEAD Office at (970) 943-2469 or visit the WIT homepage.
Will you need disability services?
- If you need assistance, please contact the Disability Services Office at (970) 943-7056.