Orientation Leader Information
Applications for Orientation Leaders are due on Feb.1 by 5 p.m.
2019 Orientation Training Schedule:
All of the trainings/programming listed below are required for Orientation Leaders.
- Tuesday evenings: Beginning March 5- April 23, 7–8:30 p.m.
- Orientation Leader Retreat: April 13-14 (exceptions will be made for academics & athletics)
- Summer Training: Must be available by Aug. 11
- New Student Orientation: Wednesday, Aug. 21–Sunday, Aug. 25
- CBMR University Day: Sunday, Aug. 25
Minimum qualifications for an Orientation Leader include:
- Possess a strong desire to represent Western Colorado University and be a role model for Orientation leaders and program participants.
- Good academic (minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA) and student conduct standing, maintained throughout spring/summer 2018.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills which include: ability to provide leadership to fellow staff, ability to speak to large groups and and strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to take initiative with staff duties and projects.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively and positively in a team environment.
- Positive attitude.
- Be available for approximately 10 hours of training in March and April 2019. (This does not include the Orientation Leader Retreat.)
- Available to work for the entire New Student Orientation and training.
Please note: Students graduating in fall 2019 may be considered for the position, however Orientation strives to fill the team with students who will be attending Western for the entire 2019-20 academic year.
Roles & Responsibilities
General roles and responsibilities:
- Acquaint new students and their parents/family members with the community, structure, campus, policies & resources at Western Colorado University.
- Orientation leaders will serve as a guide, mentor and role model to new students, family members, and fellow leaders.
- Assist new students with the transition to campus life and encourage involvement in the Western community.
- If selected to be a Western Orientation Leader, you agree to adhere to all Western Colorado University policies and exemplify the core values of our institution.