Mountaineer Card Office


What is a Mountaineer Card? 

Your Mountaineer Card serves as your official student ID. All students, faculty and staff are required to have one. Your Mountaineer Card gives you access to:

  • Athletic events
  • Campus activities and events
  • Mountaineer Field House 
  • Flex Dollars (money that comes with most meal plans and can be used at Mad Jack's and Rare Air Dining Hall only)
  • Mountaineer Cash
  • Leslie J. Savage Library
  • Meal plans at Rare Air Dining Hall (you must have your card to enter the dining hall) 
  • Wilderness Pursuits
  • Colorado Hall 24-hour Computer Lab 

How Do I Obtain My Mountaineer Card?

You will receive your first ID card for free from the Mountaineer Card Office housed in room 106 in the University Center. You must show an alternate ID before receiving your first card. This card is good for the entirety of your time at Western and you will not be re-issued a new card each year. If you are an employee of Western you will need to obtain an authorization form from the Human Resources department in order to receive your first card, otherwise a card will not be issued.   

Mountaineer Cash

Mountaineer Cash is money that can be put on your card to use at the following locations around campus and in town:

  • Mad Jack's Cafe
  • On-campus laundry
  • Powerstop
  • Rare Air Cafe
  • Western Bookstore
  • Wilderness Pursuits

Mountaineer Cash can be purchased by cash, check or credit card. You can deposit Mountaineer Cash at the following locations around campus:

  • University Center PHIL Station (cash, credit or debit)
    • Located on the main level next to the Mountaineer Card Office (University Center 106)
  • Library PHIL Station (cash, credit or debit)
    • Located on the main level by the copy machines
  • Taylor Hall PHIL Station (cash, credit or debit)
    • Taylor Hall, 3rd floor next to the Cashier's office

Mountaineer Cash rolls over from semester to semester and year to year. 

Note: Once you have deposited money onto your card, the funds can not be returned to you. Deposit wisely, you can always add more!

How Can I Add Mountaineer Cash to My Son or Daughter's Card From Home?

In order to add Mountaineer Cash to your son or daughter's card please call the Cashier's Office at 970.943.3003. They can add money to the account by running a credit card over the phone. If you prefer to write a check please include a note that states "I would like to add $(amount) to (student's name or ID number) Mountaineer Cash account."  You can mail the check and note to:

Cashier's Office
Western Colorado University
1 Western Way
Gunnison, CO 81231

Please note that depositing funds by methods other than the PHIL Stations may cause a delay in fund availability. If 24 hours have passed and the deposited funds are still not available for use, please contact the LEAD Office at 970.943.2469.

What if I Lose My Card?

If you lose your card, report it lost as soon as possible to University Center 106.

During non-business hours, you can declare your card lost by calling 970.943.2469 and leaving a voicemail with your name and phone number. Lost cards reported during non-business hours will be suspended in the system as soon the Mountaineer Card Office opens on the next day of business. Replacement cards can be obtained at the Mountaineer Card Office. 

Costs for the Mountaineer Card:

  • First ID: free 
  • Replacement of a lost or stolen card: $15
  • Replacement of a damaged card: $5 (you must present the broken card)

Terms and Conditions, Disclosure Statement

Please read the "Terms and Conditions" and "Disclosure Statement" you agree to these statements when you receive your ID card or gift card.