In April 2007, Governor Bill Ritter, Jr., signed the Greening of State Executive Orders D011 07 and D012 07. In April 2010, in recognition of the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, Gov. Ritter issued an executive order D2010-006 for state government to build upon the successes of his 2007 Greening Government directives and Climate Action Plan, which call for specific reductions in energy, petroleum, water and trash and to increase the use of renewable energy and energy efficiency measures.
The Green Cleaning Program is now the standard for Western Colorado University.
Green Cleaning is defined as "cleaning to protect health without harming the environment." (Steve Ashkin)
Procedures and products are utilized which contribute to healthy surroundings for building occupants and cleaning staff, and minimize the impact of cleaning operations on the environment. Building cleanliness is not solely evaluated on appearance. Instead, an equal emphasis is placed on the environmental sustainability of cleaning operations and overall building health.
The U.S. Green Building Council, the EPA, and other organizations are requiring cleaning operations to use green chemistry, reduce packaging waste, and focus on sustainable cleaning programs that reduce the impact on our environment and health while improving worker safety.
Custodial services is taking sustainability to a new level. We have found many green alternatives to the standard cleaning chemicals and will continue to look for new ways to reduce the reliance on harmful chemicals and replace them with high performing alternatives.
- HEPA filtration vacuum cleaners LEED-EB states that vacuums need to be CRI certified, operate at sound levels 70dB or less, and have user friendly ergonomic designs. All Pro Team vacuums meet these requirements.
- Microfiber cloths capture dirt and bacteria at a higher rate and require fewer cleaning chemicals compared to regular cleaning cloths.
- 100 percent recycled paper products
- Recycled plastic trash liners
- Green certified hand soaps reduce human and aquatic toxicity and reduce smog production potential.
Custodial services is committed to purchasing Green Seal products for the majority of our campus sanitation needs.