Transportation Services FAQ's

The Division of Risk Management and the Fleet Management Agency get many calls about the rules governing use of state vehicles and how the vehicles are insured. Here are some commonly asked questions.

Q: Can my spouse ride in a state vehicle with me in a state vehicle? Can he/she drive if I get tired? Can my spouse ride or drive if he/she is also a state employee on an official business trip? Can our kids come along?

No, no, yes and no. Only authorized persons are allowed in state vehicles; this does not include spouses or children. If your spouse is also a state employee on state business, they can ride with you or drive.

Q: I will be picking up a state vehicle tonight for a trip tomorrow. Is this legal?

Yes, it is legal to pick up the vehicle the night before a trip, as long as it is used for state business only.

Q: My kids' school is on my way home; may I pick them up in a state vehicle?

No. You may not pick up your kids in a state vehicle, even if it is on your way home.

Q: How are state vehicles insured? What should I show a police officer if I am pulled over?

State vehicles are self-insured for liability under the terms of the Government Immunity Act. Self-insurance certificates are kept in the blue binder which you pick up with the keys.

Q: I'm driving my own vehicle on state business. Does the state pay my collision damages if I get in an accident?

No. The state pays mileage, and this is the state's only reimbursement for all of your vehicle expenses, including insurance. You are expected to insure your own vehicle according to law and have a current driver's license. If you are injured in your own car on state business, you should report the injury to your supervisor for Workers' Compensation purposes.