Problem on the Road

Refueling and Repairs

When refueling, make sure that the station where you stop will honor the gas credit card before you refuel. Even choosing the designated brands listed in the operator's manual is not always a guarantee that the card will be accepted. ALWAYS ASK. If the card will not be accepted, find another station. Do not pay in cash. Reimbursement from State Fleet Management is difficult and not always successful.

Use fuel card for gas, oil, windshield washer fluid, other fluids and for minor repairs only. If repairs are needed, call the Facilities Services (970.943.3087) or the maintenance garage (970.943.7018) or the after hours emergency contact (970.901.2268). Most dealerships will accept a state vehicle for repairs. NEVER ABANDON A STATE VEHICLE ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.

Make sure that the credit card is returned to its place in the packet each time you use it. Should the card be lost, please notify us as soon as the vehicle is returned. It takes approximately two weeks for Fleet Management to replace the card, and the vehicle may not be used until the card is replaced. The operator is responsible for the credit cards and lost or willfully damaged cards will be charged to the department at $10.00 each.

To prevent problems on long trips, remember to make the usual under-the-hood inspections that you would with your own vehicle. Whenever you need assistance with a problem on the road, you can call the Facilities Services office 970.943.3087 or the garage 943.7018 or the after hours emergency contact (970.901.2268). 

Weather Conditions and Use of Chains 

Assess the road conditions as you approach mountain passes. If you have any doubts about the ability of the van to navigate the pass safely, put the chains on. Every van operator must know how to install the chains. Keep in mind that driving conditions in Colorado can change dramatically from hour to hour during the winter months.


Be cautious of overheating the brakes, particularly when driving in the mountains with loaded vans. Driving too fast down passes in heavily loaded vans can damage the vehicle braking system and cause the driver to lose control. It is best to drive at posted recommended speeds—especially on passes.

Antilock braking systems are different from conventional braking systems.


In case of an accident, read the “Accident Information” in the Operator’s Manual and fill out the accident report form located in the packet. Fill this form out immediately at the scene of the accident. In addition, a police report must be filed with the Colorado State Patrol or local law enforcement agency.

If you are issued a citation in a state vehicle, remember that the citation is the same as it would be in your own vehicle. State license plates DO NOT give you immunity from traffic citations.

Additional Information

Anyone who would like "hands-on" instruction with the vans such as road testing, backing up, etc. is welcome to call and schedule instruction during working hours.