Conference Services Hiring
Summer 2018 Conference Services Positions!
Conference Services is currently hiring for our summer 2018 season. This year we have two different student staff positions available, Conference Coordinators and Conference Assistants. We strive to hire the best applicants to build positive communities and experiences in our halls that support the our conference guests! Review both job descriptions below.
We are no longer accepting applications for Summer 2018.
For more information about either of these positions, please contact Paul Giberson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conference Assistant's (CA) works in conjunction with the Office of Residence Life & Conference Services to deliver quality service to conference guests visiting Western Colorado University. Conference Assistants assist with summer conferences lodging, key maintenance and reconciliation, work order submission, linen distribution, making of beds, removing linen from rooms and facility usage as needed. In addition, they serve as a representative of Residence Life & Conference Services and Western Colorado University to summer residents and conference guests.
- Assist with projects at the beginning of the season including moving furniture, inventorying conference supplies, inventorying room conditions and preparing halls for guests.
- Serve as a representative of Residence Life & Conference Services and Western Colorado University to conference guests and be knowledgeable about campus resources and their services.
- Respond to the day-to-day needs of conference groups and ensure quality service.
- Serve in on-call rotation with the other Conference Assistants to respond to after-hours lockouts and emergencies.
- Assist with conference group and resident check-in and check-out.
- Complete daily and special tasks during duty.
- Assist Custodial as needed to prepare halls and rooms for incoming guests.
- Assist with special projects that support Conference Services and/or Residence Life.
- Assists with other duties as assigned, including reallocation of furniture and room/facility cleaning.
Time Commitment and Remuneration:
- This is a 3/4 time position with varied work hours including evenings and weekends. The average workweek is 35-40 hours.
- Dates of employment are May 21, 2018 through Aug 10, 2018. Vacation must be requested and approved. Vacation during June is typically not approved.
- Housing on campus is provided at no cost.
- Meals are provided in Rare Air Café when available while working.,
- A stipend of $150 per week.
Who are we looking for?
Successful applicants are students who demonstrate the following:
- A commitment to working with guests to ensure respectful and considerate living environments.
- An interest in helping others.
- A desire to deliver a high level customer experience for all guests.
- A commitment to teamwork and being an integral part of a staff.
- An interest in building on and improving communication, interpersonal, confrontation and mediation skills.
- An ability to be self-motivated and detail-oriented.
- A willingness to grow, learn and mature while working collaboratively with others.
- An interest in the position beyond the perks and the paycheck.
What are the qualifications?
Applicants should consider the following minimum requirements before applying:
- Full-time student at Western Colorado University enrolled in at least twelve (12) credit hours during the spring 2018 semester.
- A 2.50 cumulative grade point average (GPA) at the time of application.
- Current or previous student conduct sanctions will be taken into consideration and may cause ineligibility for the position.
The Selection Process
Step 1: The Application (It is important to read everything below before beginning your application)
To apply to be a Conference Coordinator or Conference Assistant, you will want to access the application HERE (We are no longer accepting applications). However, please note that there are certain requirements that you may want to prepare before beginning your application. There will be places in the application form to upload required documents.
- Resume: Part of the application process includes submitting your resume.
- Applicant Questions: Part of the application process includes submitting your responses to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in being a Conference Coordinator (CC) or Conference Assistant (CA)? Why do you want to be a part of Conference Services team?
- What do you hope to get out of the position personally and professionally?
- What do you think is the most important role of a CC or CA at Western?
- References: As part of the application, you are required to submit two references. It is suggested that you contact these references prior to submitting your application. References can be any one of the following:
- Current/former professor
- Academic advisor
- Current/former employer
- Club advisor
- Religious/faith/spirit leader
Please do not submit family members, friends, or peers as references. Think of who would be the best people to showcase your special talents. At least one of your references needs to be directly connected to Western Colorado University (e.g., professor, coach, staff, and alumni).
Step 2: Individual Interview
After submitting your application, you will receive an email from Paul Giberson, Associate Director of Residence Life and Conference Services, confirming the receipt of your application. If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will receive an email with a link to sign up for your individual interview time. Individual interviews take approximately 30 minutes.
The individual interview is formal, which means dressing business casual. This includes but is not limited to: dress shirt, tie, slacks, skirt, dress shoes, blazer, etc. Please do not wear jeans or sweatpants to your individual interview.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Paul Giberson at email@example.com.