Transferring to Western
Application Requirements for Transfer Students
1. Apply to Western.
2. Request official transcripts from each institution attended and send to Western.
- Official college or university transcripts can only be mailed directly from the institution or delivered through a secure online service (Parchment, e-SCRIP, etc.).
3. If you have less than 24 credit hours* completed at the time of application, you must request your official high school transcript and ACT/SAT test scores to be sent to Western.
- Dual enrollment, concurrent enrollment, AP/IB credits taken during high school are not counted in this total.
4. Submit the $30 application fee (can be paid online with the application or with the Cashier's Office at 970.943.3003)
Optional (if you feel your application may need extra support)
- An admissions essay
- A personal statement
- Letters of recommendation
- A resume
- An interview (if required by department)
Keep in Mind
Entering transfer students are admitted with the expectation that they will benefit from the educational experiences provided by Western. Student's applications will be assessed for:
- Evidence of academic progression
- Rigor of college-level courses
- Evidence of leadership
- Life experience affecting student's overall academic record
All of the listed criteria will be taken into consideration but may not affect the final admission decision if the student is not academically prepared for admission into a university setting.
Submit Application Materials to:Western Colorado University
1 Western Way
Gunnison, CO 81231
Western is on a rolling admission cycle. We accept applications throughout the year until classes are full. However, we recommend that transfer students apply before the following date so that they are as prepared as possible for the upcoming academic year.
- Nov. 1, 2019, for spring 2020 applicants
- March 1, 2020, for fall 2020 applicants
You may check the status of your application anytime by using your self-service application portal. Typically, you will receive your admission decision two to three weeks after we have received all application materials. The transfer credit evaluation takes three to four weeks after being admitted to Western. Contact an admissions counselor for more information.