Admitted Freshmen Checklist
Activate Your MyWestern and Student Email Address
- Visit western.edu/activate to set up your MyWestern account. MyWestern is where you view financial aid information, DegreeWorks, class registration dates and much more.
- After MyWestern activation, another email will arrive with instructions on setting up your western.edu email address. Your western.edu email is what you should use for official University communication.
Apply for Financial Aid
Fall 2019 Admits: Beginning Oct. 1, 2018, fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Western’s school code is 001372.
- Priority deadline for the 2019-2020 academic year is March 1, 2019
Check the status of your financial aid and scholarships and accept/modify/decline student loans through your MyWestern account. Financial Aid awards will be available beginning:
Fall 2019 Admits: Mid-March, 2019
- Visit Western's Financial Aid page for additional resources.
Confirm Your Enrollment
- Once you’ve made your decision to attend Western, you may submit your $200 tuition deposit. You will need to submit your deposit before you can register for classes or housing. You can submit your deposit through your MyWestern account. You can also pay your deposit by check or credit card with the Cashier's Office at 970.943.3003.
- Note: Tuition deposits are non-refundable and only necessary for your first semester at Western.
Connect With Your EPIC Mentor
Each incoming student is paired up with an Experienced Peer Initiating Connections (EPIC) Mentor. These students are upperclassmen who ensure all your university needs are taken care of. Your EPIC Mentor will be helping you through your first year at Western. Take full advantage of their experience, knowledge and use them as a resource for any questions you might have. Be on the lookout, they will be reaching out to you in the upcoming weeks!
Register for On-Campus Housing
1. Pay the $200 tuition deposit and $250 housing deposit through your MyWestern account. You can also pay your deposits by check or credit card with the Cashier's Office at 970.943.3003.
2. Fill out your Profile with your preferred living style and roommate interests and begin matching with potential roommates. If you already know who you want to live with, you can choose your own roommate by searching for them. Get started at housing.western.edu.
- Fall 2019 Admits: begin Profile creation on March 6, 2019
For questions on the housing process, contact the Residence Life office at 970.943.2101 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Register for Classes
1. Pay the $200 tuition deposit through your MyWestern account. You can also pay your deposits by check or credit card with the Cashier's Office at 970.943.3003.
2. Review and sign the "Financial Agreement" through your MyWestern account. It will appear on the Checklist immediately after logging in.
3. Complete the New Student Registration Survey at western.edu/registration.
Fall 2019 Admits: Survey available May 1, 2019
For questions on class registration, contact the Academic Resource Center at 970.943.7056 or email@example.com.
Complete the Student Wellness Education Courses
AlcoholEdu for College and Sexual Assault Prevention Education are two online prevention education courses from EverFi that all incoming students must take before they arrive on campus. You will receive an email from EverFi at the following times with a link to complete to course. (These courses were formerly promoted as “Think About It” from Campus Clarity.)
- Fall 2019 admits: Emails will be sent early July 2019
- Spring 2020 admits: Emails will be sent December 2019
For questions, contact the Office of LEAD & Orientation at 970.943.2469 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Ready for Orientation
New Student Orientation is required for all new students to Western. This program consists of important information about Western and the Gunnison community. Students will be automatically signed up for Orientation when they are registered for classes and will receive a confirmation email with additional details. Learn more about the program on the New Student Orientation page.
- Fall 2019 Admits: Aug. 21-25, 2019
- Parent Orientation: Aug. 21 and 22, 2019
- Western also offers optional Wilderness Based Orientation (WBO) trips before the regular fall Orientation. Registration for WBO begins June 3, 2019. For more information, check out the Wilderness Based Orientation website.
For questions about Orientation, contact the Office of LEAD and Orientation at 970.943.2469 or email@example.com.
Send Immunization and Selective Service Records
Colorado law requires all students to show proof of immunity against measles, mumps and rubella (MMR). At a minimum students must have completed the first MMR immunization before classes begin. Medical and religious exemptions are allowed. Students who plan to reside in on-campus housing may also want to consider receiving the meningococcal vaccine. If you live on campus, proof of meningococcal vaccine or waiver is required.
These forms are sent to you in a welcome email after you are registered for classes. You can also find the forms on the Student Affairs webpage. Forms can be faxed to 970.943.2254, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the address below with Attn: Student Affairs.
For questions about these documents, contact the Office of Student Affairs at 970.943.2011 or email@example.com.
Submit Your Final High School and College-Level Transcripts
Submit your final, official high school transcript to the Admissions Office. This transcript must show your graduation date to be considered valid.
Arrange to have any AP, IB, CLEP or college-level credit sent to the Admissions Office. College-level courses must be sent via official transcript directly from the college of university.
- IMPORTANT: Your financial aid will not be dispersed unless the Admissions Office receives your final high school transcript. Please make sure you submit it before your school closes for the summer.
If you have questions about your final transcripts, contact the Admissions Office at 970.943.2119 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pay Your Tuition Bill
You will receive a paper billing statement by mail.
Adding or dropping classes, changing housing or meal plans may affect your account balance. Check your current account balance through your MyWestern Account one business day after making any changes.
Payment is due in full on or before the first day of classes, unless you set up a W-Pay Payment Plan.
For questions on your billing statement, contact the Cashier’s Office at 970.943.3003 or email@example.com.
Move to Campus
Incoming freshmen will be able to move into their residence hall on:
- Fall 2019 Admits: Aug. 21, 2019 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
For questions on moving to campus, contact the Residence Life office at 970.943.2101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.