Accepted Graduate Student Checklist

Welcome! As you prepare for your first year of graduate studies with Western Colorado University, please complete the following checklist:

Activate your MyWestern Account

  • Activate your MyWestern account using your Student ID (stu######). Your Student ID number will be your username.
  • Your password will come to you in a separate email once you start the activation process.

Access your email

  • Your address will be issued upon activation of your MyWestern account. Visit to log on to your email. Use your email address as your username with the same password that you used to log into MyWestern. If you have not done so already, enroll in the Password Reset Tool.

  • Consider setting up email forwarding. 

Confirm Your Intent to Enroll / Pay Your Program Deposit

  • The GPCW, HAEP, MBA, MS Ecology and MEM programs require you to submit a $250 tuition deposit to reserve a spot in the program.  You can submit your deposit through your MyWestern account by selecting Student & Financial Aid Menu > Pay Bill or Tuition/Housing Deposit > Items for Purchase, Tuition Deposit. You may also pay your deposit by check (payable to "Western Colorado University"), or credit card by contacting the Cashier's Office at 970.943.3003.
  • If you are a MA in Education student, complete the Intent to Enroll Form to reserve your spot in the incoming program.​  MA in Education students DO NOT need to submit a program deposit.

Secure Your Financial Aid

  • Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at Western’s school code is 001372. 
    • Summer 2019 Admits: complete 2018-2019 AND 2019-2020 FAFSA applications
    • Fall 2019 Admits: complete a 2019-2020 FAFSA application
  • Check the status of your financial aid and scholarships and accept/modify/decline student loans through your MyWestern Account. 
  • Visit Western's Financial Aid Tools page for additional Financial Aid resources.​
  • NOTE: International graduate students  are not eligible for Financial Aid. 

Send Immunization Records

  • If you are a residential graduate student in MEM or HAEP you are required to submit Immunization records. Colorado law requires students to show proof of immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella. At a minimum, students must have completed the first MMR immunization before classes begin. Medical and religious exemptions are allowed. Students who plan to reside in on-campus housing may also want to consider receiving the meningococcal vaccine. If you live on-campus proof of meningococcal vaccine or waiver is required. 
  • You can find the forms under Student Affairs. Forms can be faxed to 970.943.2254, emailed to, or mailed to Student Affairs, Taylor Hall 301, Gunnison, CO 81231. 
  • If immunization records are not complete by registration for your second semester, a hold will be placed on your account and you will not be able to register. 
  • Missing items will appear on your checklist when you log in to MyWestern. 

Submit Your Official College Transcripts

  • If you were admitted to your program before completion of your undergraduate degree, please have your institution send your final, official transcript to the Graduate Studies office immediately after your undergraduate degree is conferred. 
  • By electronic download:
  • By mail:
Western Colorado University
Graduate Admissions
118 Crawford Hall
1 Western Way
Gunnison CO 81231

Pay your tuition bill

  • You will receive one paper billing statement by mail a month before classes begin. 
    • Adding/dropping classes MAY affect your account balance. Check your current account balance through your MyWestern Account one business day after making any changes.
    • NOTE: The Refund of Charges information refers to drop and withdrawal dates based on a 16-week semester. If your graduate program operates 12-week or 8-week courses, contact the School of Graduate Studies for information regarding a refund. 
  • Payment is due in full on or before the first day of the term unless you set up a W-Pay Payment Plan.
    • A $50 late fee charge may be place on any graduate student's tuition account who does not pay their on time or who has not set up a W-Pay Plan by the time tuition is due. 
  • Pay your bill and enroll in e-Refund online through your Inside Western Account.

International Graduate Students

Important Phone Numbers
OfficePhone #
Cashier's Office970.943.3003
Graduate Studies Office970.943.2125
Financial Aid970.943.3085
IT Services970.943.3333
Student Affairs Office970.943.2011