- Contemporary Writer Series: Emerging and established literary artists visit campus and community venues.
- Playwriting: Script plays for the Theatre program.
- Sigma Tau Delta: Join the international English honor society.
- Teaching Assistantships: Students help fellow students in challenging writing courses.
- Wordehorde: This group hosts slam poetry and fiction at open-mic nights.
- Writing Center: Work as a writing consultant for the greater campus community.
Faculty & Staff
Western’s Writing Certificates build versatile skills in writing and analysis alongside more specialized forms of technical and professional writing. A complement to any major, a certificate signals expertise to employers and graduate programs in professional writing.
The 12-credit Writing Certificate offers foundational courses in English where students learn to write clear prose that conveys complex ideas. At the same time, elective courses give students a wide variety of options. The Writing Certificate is flexible enough that students may take courses in their areas of interest, whether that be creative, argumentative, media or scientific writing.
The 15-credit Professional Writing Certificate builds on the Writing Certificate by focusing more intensely on technical and professional writing, while developing a range of written rhetorical skills. The Professional Writing Certificate establishes that graduates write well for a range of occasions with an added emphasis on professional settings.
Careers & Opportunities
Business, industry and government all require writers who can clearly convey complex material. Whether writing will be your primary job or a significant component of it, a Writing Certificate provides a firm foundation in writing excellence. Jobs include:
- Advertising Copy Writer
- Blogger for a Third Party
- Communications Director
- Content Marketing Specialist
- Educational Administrator
- Government Administrator
- Grant Writer
- Instructional Coordinator
- Project Coordinator
- Public Relations Specialist
- Script Writer
- Social Media Editor
- Speech Writer
- Technical Writer
Reach out to Christine Jespersen, Ph.D. for more information.