Business Administration and Environment & Sustainability
- Career Fairs: Connect with future employers during the various career fairs in the School of Business and around Colorado.
- ICELab: The Innovation + Creativity + Entrepreneurship (ICE) Lab on upper campus is a space that provides startups and expanding businesses with the materials and support needed to succeed.
- Office of Career Success: Business students have a department-specific career services professional.
- Study Abroad: Experience Harlaxton College in the English Midlands.
Environment & Sustainability
- Clubs & Organizations: Join the Organics Guild, Sustainability Coalition or Wildlife Society.
- Coldharbour Institute: Experiment with sustainable building design, resilient food systems or community organizing in the Gunnison Valley.
- Conferences: Attend the Headwaters Conference, the Colorado Water Workshop and Sage Grouse Spring Symposium.
- Earthship Academy: Learn how to construct a self-sustaining building capable of producing food and saving energy.
- High Country News: Check out the independent news source's new satellite office located in Kelley Hall.
- Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory: Find a research assistantship at one of the premier biological research stations in the world.
- Solar Energy International: Engage in the local, regional or global conversation about the renewable energy era.
Faculty & Staff
Director of Undergraduate Environment & Sustainability Program; Graduate Faculty in Master in Environmental Management programs, Environment & Sustainability and Sociology programs
Office Location: Kelley Hall 146
Associate Professor of Business Administration
Office Location: Borick Business Building 226
Associate Professor of Business Administration; Innovation + Creativity + Entrepreneurship (ICE) Project Director
Office Location: Borick Business Building 222
Assistant Professor of Business Administration, Graduate Faculty in Outdoor Industry MBA
Office Location: Borick Business Building 242
Professor of Banking & Finance
Office Location: Borick Business Building 215
Lecturer in Business Administration
Office Location: Borick Business Building 229
Lecturer in Business Administration
Office Location: Borick Business Building 221
Associate Dean of Business School
Office Location: Borick Business Building 243
Professor of Business Administration
Office Location: Borick Business Building 241
Assistant Professor of Marketing, Graduate Faculty for Outdoor Industry MBA
Office Location: Borick Business Building 246
Many students of the environment soon find themselves working in a competitive business setting. They need the skills and awareness from both disciplines to succeed in a meaningful way. The Business Administration and Environment & Sustainability coordinated double major at Western teaches students the fundamentals in both fields, so they can successfully help businesses balance the bottom line with an environmental conscience.
The Business Administration and Environment & Sustainability double major combines two of Western’s more popular programs.
The first element is a Business Administration nucleus comprised of coursework focusing on principles in the areas of accounting, communication, economics, finance, management, marketing and law.
The second element is a sharp focus on the interactions of humans and the natural environment, including the structure and function of natural systems; how social, political and economic activity impacts those systems; and resilient solutions to unsustainable human impacts.
Careers & Opportunities
College graduates with proven senses for both business and the environment are a rare find in today’s marketplace. Future generations need business leaders who include sustainability as a core principle of their organizations and environmental leaders who have the business know-how to spread their ideas in the global marketplace. Whatever side of the degree you start from, your vision is needed more than ever.
Graduates commonly pursue careers and advanced degrees in:
- Business development
- Business strategy analysis
- City planning
- Conservation science
- Environmental management
- Green building
- Renewable energy
- Solar technology
- Water resource management
- Wave energy
- Wind energy