Recreation & Outdoor Education is a professional preparation program for individuals seeking a career in recreation, outdoor leadership or outdoor environmental education. High value is placed on experiential education, as well as field-based learning through participation in backcountry inter-semester expeditions.
- The Recreation Management emphasis immerses students in applied and service-learning courses, learning the skills necessary to develop recreation programming in many environments.
- The Outdoor Environmental Education emphasis is for students who want to teach and lead education programs in environmental and experiential education.
- The Outdoor Leadership emphasis exposes students to expeditions, leadership challenges, risk management scenarios and therapeutic recreation in preparation to guide and facilitate adventure programming.
- The Environmental Management emphasis is for students who intend to enroll in the Master in Environmental Management 3+2 program. All students work or volunteer in their area of specialization for 600 hours over four years.
Careers & Opportunities
The outdoor recreation industry in the U.S. is made up of 7.6 million jobs and generates $887 billion in annual consumer spending, according to the Outdoor Industry Association. Companies where Mountaineers now work:
- Adaptive Action Sports
- Adaptive Sports Center
- Adrift Adventures
- Breckenridge Outdoor Education Center
- Bureau of Land Management
- Cold Smoke Splitboards*
- Colorado Parks & Wildlife
- Finca Bellavista Treehouse Community*
- International Wilderness Leadership School
- National Park Service
- NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School)
- Outward Bound
- Romp Skis*
- U.S. Forest Service
*companies started by Mountaineers
Reach out to Mark A. Gibson, Ed.D. for more information.