Environment & Sustainability students learn to understand ecological systems, analyze the environmental and social impacts of societies, and experiment with sustainable solutions to those impacts.
What Will You Learn? What Skills Will You Acquire?
The Environment & Sustainability program fosters leadership in sustainability and effective environmental citizenship through a network of student-led projects. Central to the program is the development of interdisciplinary, critical thinking, communication and problem-solving skills by:
- Applying the knowledge and research methods of natural sciences to understand and analyze environmental problems and solutions.
- Implementing social-science findings and frameworks to address local, national and global environmental issues.
- Employing the insights of environmental history, literature and ethics to make better decisions concerning environmental impacts and resources.
- Some students take an extra step toward real-world effectiveness with a coordinated double major in Business and Environment & Sustainability.
Beyond the Classroom
Our inspiring Rocky Mountain location provides one of the best learning laboratories in the world. The Environment & Sustainability program integrates three kinds of learning laboratories:
- The diverse ecology and geology of the Rocky Mountains - From deep canyons (including Black Canyon National Park) to alpine peaks, Western is surrounded by a world-class laboratory for field-based environmental study.
- Public lands comprise some 85 percent of the area surrounding Western Colorado State University. The Bureau of Land Management, National Parks Service, National Forest Service, Colorado Division of Wildlife and several non-profit environmental groups maintain offices in Gunnison. Western students learn from and help manage projects with these organizations.
- We have a unique partnership with the Mountain Resilience Coalition, with The Aspen International Mountain Foundation, Telluride Institute and Western Colorado University.
If you're interested in Western's Environment Sustainability Program, we invite you to take the next steps towards becoming a part of the Mountaineer family.
Share your interest with friends and family:
- Get more information about the program.
- Schedule a campus visit so you can meet professors, see the beautiful Gunnison Valley, and find out if Western is the perfect school for you.
- Start the online application process - apply online now.
- Find scholarships, grants, or financial aid that match your interests and situation.