Art K-12 Education
Mary L. Alber Memorial Art Education Scholarship: Amount TBD
- Student must be full-time
- Junior or senior art majors seeking Art Education Licensure
- Student must have completed a minimum of 60 credit hours
- Must have and maintain a GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Demonstrate a strong interest in art education and the potential to become a successful teacher in art
This scholarship is provided by art students, celebrating the memory of Mary L. Alber, Western class of 1942.
Award determined by available funds. Renewable.
Caniff, Al Art Scholarship: $1,000
- Full-time Western Senior majoring in Art
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or above
- Student must exhibit service to the Art program by involvement with the ART League or other co-curricular art activities
- Preference will be given to a BFA Senior Veterans of the United States Armed Forces
This scholarship is provided by Dr. Al Caniff.
Selected by: Art Faculty in consultation with the Financial Aid Office.
Contact the Art Department at 970.943.3093 | Quigley Hall 202
Faculty & Staff
Art Education Licensure
Building on Western Colorado University's excellent offerings in studio arts, art history and the liberal arts, an Art Education emphasis helps students build understanding and tools to recognize the dynamic relationships between life experience, the creative process and the art product.
Students in this program learn skills and techniques to teach others, as well as skills that help them discover personal sources of creative energy.
Teachers go beyond communicating form and content in art to help their students develop perception and natural expression. Such communication demands special skills. With verbal and nonverbal techniques for communicating art experiences, faculty in this emphasis teach that art is an integrating, energizing and humanizing force in society. They demonstrate that it encompasses real content and real knowledge.