Non-US Citizens

International applicants must have a United States Social Security Number before they are eligible to apply for their initial Colorado teaching license. 

How to Apply for Admission

  1. Complete and submit Western’s Education Online Graduate Application.
  2. Submit an Affidavit of Support Form.
  3. Submit official copies of all transcripts and verification that you received a degree. International applicants must hold the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree. We do not return submitted documents to applicants. If you were educated overseas and are submitting a detailed credential evaluation (see next bullet item), we do not require official transcripts with the application. We do require official, final-degree-verifying transcripts if you have not received your degree at the time of application.
  4. Submit a credential evaluation prepared by a reputable credential evaluator. Western will accept evaluations prepared by a National Association of Credentials Evaluation Services member. Each credential evaluation agency has different names for different services.  The evaluation, regardless of what it is called by the evaluation agency, must include a detailed listing of the courses completed while you were enrolled at the overseas institutions, the grade received in each course, and an overall evaluation of your cumulative coursework at each institution.  International applicants who will not have earned a degree prior to applying to a graduate program should request that the evaluation agency note the US equivalency of the anticipated awarded degree.   Evaluations must be sent directly from the evaluation service agency. Photocopies are not accepted.
  5. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) – International students must demonstrate English language proficiency by submitting TOEFL or IELTS results.  Minimum scores on the TOEFL are iBT (internet based test): 79-120, Paper Version: 550, Computer-Based Test: 213. Applicants from countries where English is the SOLE OFFICIAL language of instruction (Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada-except Quebec, England, the Gambia, Ghana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Nigeria, Scotland, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad, Tobago, Uganda, and Wales) are typically not required to submit TOEFL results. For more information on TOEFL, please visit
  6. ​A photocopy of your passport, listing official name, birthdate, etc.
  7. If you are in the U.S., a photocopy of your visa and I-94 by which you entered the country.

Note that you will NOT be issued a student visa for our online program, since it can be completed from your home country.

Send materials to:

Western Colorado University
Office of Graduate Studies
Crawford Hall 118
1 Western Way
Gunnison, CO 81231
Phone: 970.943.2297