The High Altitude Exercise Physiology Master of Science program is a two-year, residential program that takes advantage of the unique physical and academic environment of Colorado’s Gunnison Valley.
What Will You Learn? What Skills Will You Acquire?
- To enhance student understanding of human physiology – at rest and during exercise, in healthy and diseased populations – in extreme environments, including hyper- and hypobarometric conditions, heat, cold, pollution.
- To prepare students for original research under supervision of the ESS-HAEP faculty.
- To prepare students to share their research as presentations, publications or both.
- To prepare students for careers in academia, research or clinical practice, as well as for further study in the discipline.
Research — HAEP Graduates will understand Exercise Science research methods and demonstrate the ability to recognize and employ various study designs. They will:
- Be adept at retrieving and analyzing information relevant to Exercise Science.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the background and principle research in their specialization.
- Demonstrate the ability to critically evaluate scientific literature and apply the scientific method to exercise sciences, by actively engaging in the research process with critical analysis and research.
- Demonstrate the ability to situate their own research within the broader context of the Exercise Science field.
Communication and Writing — HAEP graduates will master oral and written skills to present and publish their research in peer-reviewed venues.
Application/Outreach — HAEP graduates will be able to translate research into practice, developing evidence-based exercise prescriptions for individuals with performance goals – particularly those at risk, including special populations – who seek to perform in extreme environments, such as altitude, cold and stressful heat.
Critical Thinking — HAEP Graduates will effectively use information obtained through traditional and non-traditional sources to solve problems related to academic or professional practice.
Technology — HAEP Graduates will use technology to complete tasks within the Exercise Science profession. This includes proficiency with exercise testing equipment and relevant computer skills.
A special "Thank You!" to the following generous sponsors of the Master of Science in High Altitude Exercise Physiology program at Western:
If you're interested in Master of Science in Exercise & Sport Science: High Altitude Exercise Physiology program, we invite you to take the next steps towards achieving your goals.
Social Media Links
Share your interest with friends and family:
- Get more information about the program.
- Schedule a campus visit so you can meet professors, see the beautiful Gunnison Valley, and find out if Western is the perfect school for you.
- Start the online application process - apply online now.
- Find scholarships, grants, or financial aid that match your interests and situation.