Admissions Checklist for Applicants to Principal Licensure + MA in Education Program
- Pass a background check. If your fingerprints are already on file with the Colorado Department of Education, you do NOT need to submit new fingerprints.
- Submit two Professional Recommendation Forms. Recommendation_Form.docx One recommendation should be from the principal of the school where you are employed.
- Short Response Questions: Answer each of the following questions. Allow 300-500 words for each response:
- Why do you want to be a principal? Why now? What makes you a good candidate to be a principal?
- Based on your beliefs and experience, can all students learn? Explain your response.
- Submit a letter from your principal or HR office confirming your employment as a licensed teacher or counselor for two years upon starting the program. (Note: This requirement does not apply to Alternative Licensure Candidates.)
- Residency Candidates: Submit STATEMENT OF MENTOR PRINCIPAL SUPPORT.docx from a mentor principal agreeing to act as your mentor and supervise your internship hours for the school year.
- Submit official transcripts demonstrating a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0, with an undergraduate or graduate degree conferred. Please request that official transcripts be sent directly from the issuing institution to: Education Department, Western State Colorado University, 600 North Adams Street, Gunnison, CO 81231. Electronic transcripts can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your GPA is less than 3.0, you may request an exemption from the minimum GPA requirement. Submitting the following will strengthen your application. Please note that meeting these criteria does not guarantee admission into the program.
- Submit evidence demonstrating 3.0 GPA or higher in related post-BA studies.
- Submit a resume demonstrating work, study, volunteering, or other professional activity relating to education and working with children or demonstrating maturity, people skills, and potential to be a quality administrator.
- Submit an official evaluation from supervisor pertaining to your work with students.
Additional Requirements for Alternative Principal Licensure Candidates
- Obtain a Statement of Eligibility from CDE.
- Secure a full-time principal or assistant principal position.
- Submit a letter from a mentor principal agreeing to act as your mentor for 1-2 hours/week for school year.
For more information on Alternative Licensure, see the Colorado Department of Education Alternative Principal Program webpage.