Admissions Checklist for Teacher Licensure Candidates
Admissions Checklist for Teacher Licensure/MA in Education Applicants
Teacher licensure candidates will select the "MA in Education with Teaching License " admissions application. All teacher licensure candidates are admitted as MA in Education candidates, but may elect to complete only the licensure portion of the program. To apply, you will need to:
- Pass a criminal history check by submitting a complete set of fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. Click here to login in to the CDE webpage to check on the status of your fingerprint submission. This process can take up to 12 weeks, so please start early!
- Request two Professional Recommendations. Recommendation_Form.docx
- Upload your resume
- Demonstrate your knowledge in the area you'd like to teach by either:
Exceptions: There is no test or transcript evaluation requirement for the Reading Teacher, Reading Specialist, or CLD added endorsements. Candidates seeking a Special Education or Elementary Education endorsement must take the PLACE or Praxis II exam for Elementary content. If you are not able to take or pass a content exam by the application deadline, you will need to write a statement that addresses your proficiency in your subject.
- Submit official transcripts demonstrating a minimum GPA of 3.0 with a undergraduate or graduate degree conferred. Have transcripts sent directly to the Education Department from the issuing institution by mail to: Education Department, Western State Colorado University, 600 North Adams Street, Gunnison, CO 81231. Electronic transcripts can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Request an Exception from the GPA Requirement
- Pass a content area exam
- official evaluation from a supervisor for direct work with students
- philosophy of education
- post-BA coursework taken
- You may also be interviewed by the Education Department Graduate Admissions Review Committee.
Please note that meeting these criteria does not guarantee admission into the program.
Additional Requirements for Alternative Teacher Licensure Candidates
- Obtain a Statement of Eligibility from CDE
- Secure a full-time teaching position
- Submit Statement of Assurance to CDE after being admitted
For more information, see the Colorado Department of Education Alternative Teacher Program webpage.