Students learn and experience crucial storytelling theory through by creating media.
What Will You Learn? What Skills Will You Acquire?
You'll gain experience and skills in the critical aspects of film:
- Screenwriting theory and structure.
- Producing, including media law, ethics, releases, licenses and management.
- Production, including digital cinematography, cinema aesthetics, cinema theory, lighting and audio production.
- Post-production, including cinema editing and web content creation.
- Marketing, publication and distribution strategies.
Beyond the Classroom
Each semester, the program hosts popular public screenings of student work. We promote student research and internships – locally, nationally and internationally. We host visiting professionals and artists, and sponsor student trips to national conferences and film festivals, where they share their research and artistry.
Graduates are prepared for staff positions at television and radio stations, media outlets and communication corporations. They also are well equipped for entrepreneurial and freelance work.
Western graduates also have continued their studies in graduate schools in major media markets.
If you're interested in Western's Film Studies Program, we invite you to take the next steps towards becoming a part of the Mountaineer family.
Share your interest with friends and family:
- Get more information about the program.
- Schedule a campus visit so you can meet professors, see the beautiful Gunnison Valley, and find out if Western is the perfect school for you.
- Start the online application process - apply online now.
- Find scholarships, grants, or financial aid that match your interests and situation.