Disability Housing Accommodations

Requesting Housing Accommodations

Western Colorado University will make reasonable efforts to accommodate students who need housing accommodations due to a disability. This may range from the need to have a private room due to the sensitive nature of a medical condition to requesting the use of an Emotional Support Animal or the need to have a Service Animal while residing on campus. Western has ADA accessible housing available for students who require such accommodations. Each request is considered on a case by case basis. To ensure availability of accessible housing, first year, first time freshmen should request housing accommodations no later than April 5th. Returning students should place their request for housing accommodations no later than March 1st.

To request housing accommodations, students should complete the following in order:

  1. Complete an online request for housing accommodations which can be found here.
  2. Students requesting accommodations may upload any supporting documentation along with their request or they may bring their documentation to Taylor Hall 302. Please allow 7-10 business days for the careful review of housing accommodations as each request is considered on a case by case basis.
  3. If the request is approved, the ADA Coordinator shall arrange a meeting with the student to discuss their needs in detail.

Requesting Private Housing for Undisturbed Study Time

By virtue of the shared facilities, resources, and number of people living in close quarters in residence halls, it is not logical to assume that having a private room would provide for a quiet, distraction-free space to any appreciable degree beyond living in a standard double room. In addition to quiet study locations in the library and other on-campus study locations, Residence Life is also able to assist students in developing a schedule with their roommates to provide undisturbed time.

Requesting Service Animals or Emotional Support Animals for Resident Students

Although the University maintains a no-pet policy, Western recognizes the importance of “Service Animals” as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) and the broader category of “Assistance Animals” under the Fair Housing Act that provide physical and/or emotional support to individuals with disabilities. Western is committed to allowing individuals with disabilities the use of a Service Animal on campus to facilitate their full-participation and equal access to the University’s programs and activities. Western is also committed to allowing Assistance Animals (Emotional Support Animals, or ESAs) necessary to provide individuals with disabilities an equal opportunity to use and enjoy University housing.

Before requesting a Service or Emotional Support Animal while residing on campus, students should carefully read the Western Colorado University Service Animal and Emotional Support Animal Policy and ensure that they fully understand it.