Athletics Staff Writer
DEPARTMENT & LOCATION
- Paul Wright Gym 220
- Name: Garrett Finke
- Phone: 970.943.2831
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type of work study: Federal/State
- Wages/salary: $8.75
- Number of Position Openings: 2-4
- Hours per week: 5-20
- Schedule: Weekdays - some nights and weekends depending on assignment
The Athletics Staff Writer will be responsible for content for www.GoMountaineers.com, which may also be adopted for potential use by local and regional news agencies. The writer will be responsible for at least one weekly feature story, preview or extended recap of events, and can write more depending on desire and schedule.
The staff writer will work in conjunction with the Sports Information Director to discuss story ideas, and will be provided a work station and audio recorder to complete assignments. The writer will also be provided access to needed individuals for interviews and to statistical information for background. The writer will receive credit in all appearances of the story, both online and in print.
This position is ideal for those interested in creative writing or news writing, and can be used for portfolio pieces for potential employment in the field. Interested individuals who may not be pursuing a career in journalism are welcome to apply as well.
- Familiar with the Associated Press style guide, or a willingness to learn and follow the guidelines
- Qualify for federal or state work study, or be willing to volunteer
- Working knowledge and interest in sports
- Contact Western State College Sports Information Director Garrett Finke at (970) 943-2831 or at email@example.com. Prospective students can also apply in person at Paul Wright Gym 220, but it is recommended to make an appointment before stopping by.