Sustainability Action Committee
The mission of the Sustainability Action Committee is to improve environmental awareness, stewardship of natural resources, and resource efficiency at Western State Colorado University through implementing the goals of WSCU’s Environmental Charter.
Please contact the members of the Sustainability Action Committee for information on how to get involved.
- Brooke Moran: (Chair) Associate Professor of Recreation and Outdoor Education
- Julie Feier: Associate VP for Finance and Administration
- Maddie Rehn: Student Sustainability Coordinator
- Paul Morgan: Director of Facilities
- Gary Pierson: VP for Student Affairs
- Loren Ahonen: (3R's sub-committee chair)
- Gregory Haase: Professor of Sociology, Faculty Senate Representative
- William Niemi: Associate VP for Academic Affairs
- Sara Phillips: (Outreach & Education sub-committee chair) LEAD and Orientation
- Jonathan Coop: (20x20 sub-committee chair) Visiting Professor of Biology and Environmental Studies
- Cree Clark: Student Sustainability Coalition representative
- Terri Stinson: (Secretary) Administrative Assistant of Recreation and Exercise and Sport Science
Please also consider joining us by serving on one of our sub-committees listed below:
Our mission is to provide outreach and education for a sustainable community through student empowerment, communication, learning opportunities, community outreach and from using existing campus facilities and infrastructure as tools to promote sustainability education.
Members: Sara Phillips (Chair), Maria Struble, Tracey Koehler, Laura Furey, Keya Horiuchi, Molly Diachok-Mugglestone, Melissa Bravo, Emily Lenney, Katie Martin, Hope Bradford, Robin Palmer, and Dakota Becker
Our mission is to serve as an advocate for campus-wide changes that will reduce the use of natural resources, encourage the reuse of available materials and increase rates of recycling. We seek to achieve our mission through support of educational and policy initiatives that improve sustainability. Central to the support of any sustainable educational or policy initiatives is understanding the effects of these various programs through measurable changes demonstrating improvements towards the goal of sustainability.
Members:Scott Travis (Chair), Julian Assiby, Chuck Bateman, Dakota Becker,Scott Cohn, Stephen Griggs, Paul Morgan, Justin Oliver and Sara Phillips.
The “20 by 20” subcommittee will convene collaborative expertise from across campus (including faculty, staff, and students) to identify how Western State Colorado University will best meet its target of 20% CO2 reductions by 2020.
This goal was outlined in the President’s Climate Commitment Recommended Action Plan, submitted June 2008. This subcommittee will identify and seek to implement strategies for substantial emissions reductions, considering the following criteria: upfront affordability, long-term financial payback and risk, classroom educational value, student research and “learning laboratory” potential, and fit with the Gunnison Valley and the mission/culture of WSCU as regional education provider.
Members: Chair-Jonathan Coop (Biology and Environmental Studies), Cree Clark (Student), Bob Cohen (Math), Scott Cohn (Psychology), Julie Feier (Finance & Administration), Chris Greene (Business Administration), Kelly Haun (Student), John Hausdoerffer (Environmental Studies and Philosophy), Shelley Jansen (Student Affairs), Paul Morgan (Facilities), Sarah Newberry (Student Government Association), Chad Robinson (Information Technology Services), Paul Tame (Recreation & Outdoor Education)