October 26th, 2011
Action Agenda for October 26th, 2011
I. Roll Call: Grace was late (sorry)
II. Approval of Minutes
III. Approval of Agenda: Approved
IV. Guest Speaker: none
V. Action Items
· Math Bill: Adam: we talked about the Iplan and Constitution grey area but agreed since it was students and not the department requesting funding then it was ok to allocate them money. $1200 and $1300 were both numbers discussed, Senate voted on $1200 as final number
· Sarah opened the floor for discussion before the senate votes, how does this benefit the campus in four years with four seniors graduating?
· Western will look better for possible applicants in the future.
· Sarah: how many are presenting research?
· Erika: all four seniors are potentially presenting and juniors don’t have anything to present on
· Motion to vote for allocating $1200 with stipulation that they don’t pay for food: by Walker
· Seconded by Alan
· 7/12 does not pass
· Motion for $1300 by Shayna
· Seconded by Alan
· 8/12 motion passes
· NASC Bill Adam: for this bill we discussed the funding they have currently and the Budget Committee recommendation of $900. Not everyone comfortably with $900 so how about $700 because they are going to ask history dep. For at least $200.
· Motion to allocate $750 to NASC by Erika
· Seconded by D’Andre
· 7/10 motion passes
VI. Discussion Items
· WSC Mission Statement: who has seen it? 3 ppl have seen it.
· Rodney: it seems long.
· Nick: if its long maybe they should include more about the graduate programs.
· Shayna: not interesting to read, its not inspiring.
· Haleigh: how does this compare with other colleges statements?
· Shelley: they added to it last self study.
· Katie: working on hs mission statement, its something no body really reads but means so much.
· Shelley: do you think that the mission statement conveys the passion we have for the college?
· Rodney: NO not at all.
· Bradley: is it on the admissions website for prospective students.
· Travis: I like it, its not for students anyway, we come here for different reasons.
· Bradley: its important for the
· Elijah: The mission statement NEEDS to sum up the college but doesn't do so because of how long and drawn out the current statement is
· Chase: I can talk to my professors here and that should be included in the statement because that’s important because its not that way everywhere.
· Walker: I like big words and it doesn’t need to be any shorter or any longer because the concepts in it are true and valuable.
· Brad: if it was shorter than it could be used to market the school.
· Haleigh: does the school have a condensed version.
· Meg: it should be shorter because we already complain about emails being too long, maybe a short statement and if they want more then well give them a mission story (ha)
VII. Advisor Report Shelley: CBMR pass prices go up after Friday
· Walker: Jean taylor tent sale: $75 off pass price
· Family Weekend: Shelley is flipping pancakes at Webster hall on Saturday, registration starts next week: get in touch with your advisor, new students register on 11/7, last day to get a W is 11/3, can impact financial aid if you withdraw
VIII. Senator Reports
· Erika: Amigos: day of the dead next week—sugar skull workshop, website needs to updated with this years stuff, if your absent please email your report. If your going to miss a meeting then you need to give 24 hour notice so it is not an unexcused absence, same goes for senate meetings
· Alan: Free Skiier movie at 8pm mountaineer square in Mt. CB on Friday
· D’Andre: Haunted House: 8-11 on Saturday and Monday
· Sarah: NO Report
· Chase: no
· Bradley: no
· Adam: great senate meeting thanks
· Rodney: no
· Shayna: no
· Walker: chills and thrills at the flow farm park: raffle tix free with entry which is Sunday 1-5pm
IX. Committee Reports : USA Pro-Cycling Challenge:
· Nick- wrote a report stating how much the campus supports the USPCC, Adam: talked to bike club president and he will get back to him later, great biker will get back to us to. Will turn into city council next week.
· Sodexo Community: want to advertise in CC talk to Blake and D’Andre
· Constitution: re-scheduling
X. Advisory Reports
· Sarah: Politics Club: 8-12 in CC =bake sale, Friday is Board of Trustees meeting, I am the student liaison and I want to gather what we as an sga feel the board should do with the name change. How do you guys feel about the name change? Nick: this is worrisome as a public statement, but its not a public statement its just a report back.
· Adam: students aren’t passionate about it because no money is involved. Bradley: no regulation with the venn-diagram, so not a reliable source
· Sarah: this will be a representation of the campus attitude Only a few passionate people some for and some against but lots don’t care Some concerned that if we changed to university then our class size will grow and we don’t want them to
· Meg: we don’t care because it doesn’t affect us right away
· Brad: students realize it doesn’t really matter what we think. They will do it if they want to
· Nick: Are people not going to come back if they change the name?
· Rodney: probably not
· Walker: people think it’s a quick fix
· Grace: they didn’t go to forums to find out that’s not true
· Erika: we are trying to get this done quickly, not enough time to have forums
· Sarah: falls with legislation season
· Shelley: with Adams doing it too
· Sarah: ultimately it’s a state legislation decision ultimately
· Katie: if we get away from wasted state that would be beneficial
· D’Andre: just because you change the name we will still have the same reputation
· Noah: speaking on a few people’s behalf, not a majority and at the forum on applying for grad school: to some people applying to grad school the university name will be much better on applications
· Nick: we get stuck in the fact that we are only here for four years and its hard for us to see outside of that four years, its important to see the bigger picture sometime
· Walker: Keck said professors are waiting for more data before they make their decisions on the name change, what are the true intentions behind the name change?
· Sarah: we need a formal statement to the board…
· Grace: should we take a vote?
· Nick: personal opinions of SGA?
· Sarah: no opinion as sga members
· Meg: we need an indifference vote because the student body is indifferent
· Sarah: I see what your saying but I don’t want them to think we don’t care
· Grace: why don’t we just vote
· Alan: lets report this whole discussion on how we came to the decision
· D’Andre: Motion to vote
· Second: Chase
· Haleigh: vote on what you have gathered thus far, all in favor please raise your hand (14/26 Travis and Maddie abstained) revote: six are indifferent
· No way: Erika= a band wagon thing, wait and see how apartment and rec. center affect things, Nicole, Rodney: a majority of people said this is not what western is we are a college of 2000 students without research (how many= four-five classes roughly 15 people in each) and D’Andre: (agreed with Rodney and Erika and my personal opinion is different)
· Walker: after looking at the reaction of the student body
· Aurora: its our job to inform the people who are confused and let them know what gary and jay have been telling us at the forum, if the people aren’t attending forums then it is our job to let them know
· Nick’s Report: City Council the Gunnison Chamber asked about the Parade of Lights and in the past WSC has had an immobile float, do we want to do this again?
· Fashion Show: Nick is participating, Tim Albers talked about the hs counselors coming to campus (out of 490+ freshman they represent over 400+ high schools, one kid per hs essentially), Rec. center person was recited by Cory and his team
· Erika’s Report: she needs pictures of us (three or so send to Erika by Sunday) and a one sentence statement about why you joined SGA
· Packets: Meg: not environmentally friendly Rodney: most of us print them anyway Alan: no one has an excuse that they are not in the loop Nick: it would only be every other week and you would use the same packet for two weeks
· Adam: we are responsible on SGA and should be able to print our own stuff
· Maddie: why don’t we just print a couple and share/ use them if we need to
· Grace’s Report: come to BCM, less than $11,000 for the year, Friday night fright: go help out
· Meg’s Report: College Night we could go as a group for team bonding and fun
· Blake’s Report: xc boys and girls won conference, vball palying at adams on Friday at 7pm, football at home at 1pm, club fair on Friday 2:45-3:15,
· Travis: ultimate done, kickball done tomorrow, ping png starts tomorrow, dodgeball starts nov 1st registration open until Sunday Sign up for club fair
· Hayden: cycling at nationals in nm, women play mesa and cu at 3 and 5, women’s rugby at 1, mens rugby is playing too,
· Elijah: magician at 7pm on Saturday
· Aurora: recruitment with TJoyce: reps for western full time on the front range, tx number 1 for out of state students, enrollment staff works really hard, with name change looking at more grad programs, women are low in enrollment and we don’t have some of women’s top choice, retention rate is higher for women in general, page of other things, wasted will still be the stigma even with university, enrollment is working very hard
· Noah’s report: 12-5 sign up for free WP trips, film fest update: in ruby cinema for free cbmr sponsored us = free lift tix, Nov 9-11 doors open at 7pm theme: potentially red carpet with photographers, after party at the last chance email@example.com
· Maddie: none
XI. Special Topics
XII. Remarks for the Good of the Order
· Shelley: van certified trained: we need drivers 9-11am, Grace: numbers are important to quantify data to report on Elijah: Senators check your boxes for posters, Sarah: make sure boards are done. Nick: meeting in the ballroom was that good or bad? Elijah: it was hard to see. Walker: music= soundtrack to the meeting
· Erika: poster thief yet to be named…
XIII. Late Roll Call