March 9, 2011
Minutes for March 9, 2011
I. Roll Call
· Grace, Jesse, Megan, Shayna, Stephanie
II. Approval of Minutes
III. Approval of Agenda
IV. Guest Speaker
· Leonard Silence: Budget Analyst: We each received a copy of the new student fees report. This last year administration recommended a course fee for many classes and they are now going away. There will still be charges for classes that travel. Fees are increasing by a small percentage. Total increase is $6 a semester on the mandatory fees listed on page 3. The facilities fee will increase to $840.90 next year and will continue to increase until the 2019-2020 school year. We have one voluntary student fee which is the $25 fitness center fee.
· Sarah: What is the increase per student in facility fees?
· Leonard: For 15 credit students it is $840.90 and will vary with different credit hours.
· Lauren: What is the increase in $12 for?
· Leonard: That is for the full academic year so $6 per semester.
· Devon: So everyone pays the intercollegiate fee?
· Leonard: Yes.
V. Senator Reports
· Haleigh: We cannot reserve money specifically.
· Devon: none
· Austin: none
· D’Andre: Carnaval went great this past weekend. The football team just got another new coach.
· Walker: I wrote a draft for the resolution and I will read it aloud.
· Chris: Forest Gump is playing right across the hall at 8 pm tonight.
· Nick: none
· Anders: Western is having a crab feed March 26 and the benefits go to all the sports teams.
· Erika: none
VI. Action Items
· Alec Solimeo: Paper Request: I am in my graduating semester and I am doing 9 credits of independent study. I have to print a lot of paper because we are doing curriculum development and entrepreneurial growth. We are working on budgets and research and are focusing on a new style of business plan. We are working through iworks and I need to print them off and work on them at home. We are doing market research as well and working with schools focusing on ecopsychology and wilderness. We are exploring marketing and I just finished a grant writing course. I am reviewing my second capstone to apply for a PhD program and I have been asked to rework some of my other papers. I am a part of the climbing club and I coach so I am involved at Western. I would like to continue in this path, and having an expanded print allotment would really help. I am asking for 800 more. The work that I am doing is being utilized and if not will be recycled.
· Nick: You have already used 600?
· Austin motions to vote in favor of allocating 800 more pages
· 9 vote yes.
· Alec receives 800 more pages
VII. Discussion Items
· CLUE bill sponsored by Alan: Katie with WRAP is here to talk.
· Katie: This conference is very unique because it combines 2 areas which includes California schools.
· Jamie: How many Western students are going and what years in school are they?
· Katie: We have 5 and there is one freshman one sophomore one junior and 2 seniors. We still have members that are not going to the conference so we have people from all grades.
· Noah: Have you looked into alternative and cheaper routes like vans?
· Katie: We measured it all out and found that flights were the most reasonable cost. The conference is March 31.
· Library bill sponsored by Chris: Nancy is here to explain the contest
· Nancy: The essays will go into the time capsule of 2011. We want to get a good cross section of students at Western. The gift certificates will be a good incentive. The essays will be submitted to me and then a board will review the essays.
· Anders: Could one person win in 2 different categories?
· Nancy: I didn’t think about that, but if there were enough submissions we would try not to allow that.
· Devon: How many are receiving gift certificates?
· Nancy: 15
· Nick: have you talked to the bookstore about donating anything?
· Nancy: No but I have talked to them to see if they want to put anything in the time capsule.
· Quiznos Pro Challenge bill:
· Haleigh: We think that your description is very vague and aren’t sure where you want the money to go. We are worried the club fair won’t be as attractive.
· Nicole: We have an email that will be given to all the clubs with the objectives of the Quiznos race. We will give them different ideas of events and tables. We have a deadline of April 13 to submit a proposal for money.
· Haleigh: We feel like you have a lot of good ideas but we are thinking you could come back when you have more commitment from the clubs.
· Nick: It seems like a great idea but it doesn’t seem like there is anything concrete enough to give this much money. We are concerned that it is during the first couple days of school. We would love to see some of your ideas more ironed out.
· Devon: We would like a list of club commitment and a better breakdown of the budget.
· Nicole: The race is definitely happening and the band Iola is definitely interested and requesting $500. Could we get the money for the band, food and drinks?
· Walker: Have you thought about trying to align yourself with a group on campus? This looks better and you will have more resources.
· Nicole: We could definitely benefit from this. We are talking to other students and they are willing to work with us.
· Sarah: You talked about a guest speaker. Where is this going?
· Nicole: I don’t think we are going to have a guest speaker.
· Elijah: PC would love to help out.
· Nicole: We would love to have more people help. PC would be great.
· Devon: We can vote tonight but you guys can come back for more if you need.
· Austin: We have time before this event takes place. I think this event is really important so keep working on it and come back to us when you know more details.
· Jamie: Could you forward me the email and I will send it to all the clubs?
· Nicole: Yes
· Haleigh: we could vote on the $500 for the band.
· Nick: Why the rush?
· Haleigh motions to vote allocating $500
· 7 out of 10 vote yes and passes
· Allocated $500
· Taylor: Has anyone heard of the New Belgium bike race in Ft Collins? I would like to do some type of night race like this. What do you think?
· Majority liked the idea
· Sarah: Talk with WRAP for ideas.
· ENVS student proposal on recycling:
· Elijah: They would have one can for all recycling and then sort through it later, is that right?
· Chris: The one concern that I heard was "who would take out the recycling and would it be consistent"?
· They said work study students would do this job.
· D’Andre: They did say they would have people to sort the recycling and take it out.
· Erika: Some students said making it a policy is kind of ridiculous and maybe it’s not necessary in every classroom but just in general areas.
· Devon: Is it a money issue to have the recycling bins in every classroom or what?
· Erika: I think it is just too many classrooms and not necessary to have a recycling bin in each classroom.
· Walker: I think the idea of overwhelming students with bins t every trashcan will create more recycling.
· Alan: I think that the idea of having them in every classroom is overboard because students may throw other things in them. I think it would just be a whole lot more work.
· Noah: Most of our buildings are LEAD and those who are not will be soon. We are changing our ways of life and the bins may be a hassle at first but will create a good habit to get into. The sustainability coalition would be more than happy to help and if not there will be students who would love to help.
· Haleigh: What kind of recycling?
· Lauren: I think just any kind and they will sort through it.
· Nick: If it’s not going to cost us anything then we might as well do it.
· Austin: We need to see that the idea of this is forward progressive movement and a great start.
· Devon: Would there be recycling bins in every resident room?
· Angela: There should be already.
· Jamie: It sounds like the major concern of constituents is that they don't understand that we won’t be spending money on it.
VIII. Advisor Report
· Not here.
IX. Committee Reports
· Recreation Center Field House: We met and went over the budget. When we return from spring break we should have a stronger design construct. We are having the students enter names for the apartments and then there will be a vote.
· Election committee: The elected positions applications are due March 25 by 5 pm and appointed applications are due by April 8 at 5 pm. They cannot be late! I emailed you all the applications so let your friends know.
X. Advisory Reports
· Sarah: When we have guest speakers please have input and questions for them.
· Devon: I feel like the reflection of no questions means we understood.
· Sarah: I think we just need to sit up and look alive.
· Sarah: March 29, 30 and 31 is spring symposium and I will have flyers for you all to put up. Boards are very important, so please do them!
· Jesse: He is having an excellent time in Brush!
· Lauren: Is anyone attending the etiquette dinner? Since about half will be there do we want to push the meeting back or should we just leave the dinner early?
· Just leave early
· Molly: Amazing Race for Peace out Community service club coming soon!
· Sabret: Wrestling is at Kearney for nationals and track is at New Mexico.
· Travis: We are finishing soccer this week. We will start volleyball the week after spring break and softball starts the week after volleyball. Softball will be Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday nights and volleyball is Monday and Wednesday nights.
· Jamie: The lacrosse team asked me for money. We may have to dip into our reserve or they may come to SGA. Beach party for 6 points fundraiser this Friday!
· Noah: We have spring break trips leaving and we have 30 people going skiing/snowboarding with the recreation dept.
· Elijah: The hypnotist is here tomorrow so come get hypnotized!
· Angela: Tomorrow there is an art convocation at 12:30 in Quigley. Also at 4 pm is the acting workshop (this is put on the students we gave money to) in Quigley and at 7 pm at Mochas is worde horde.
· Stephanie: Noah’s birthday is this weekend!
XI. Special Topics
· You da Bomb Award…… Walker!!!
XII. Remarks for the Good of the Order
· Happy Spring Break!!
XIII. Late Roll Call
· Jesse, Stephanie, Grace, Shayna, Megan