March 2, 2011
Minutes for March 2, 2011
I. Roll Call
II. Approval of Minutes
III. Approval of Agenda
IV. Guest Speaker
· Gabby Kellman-ENVS Student: A professor wrote a proposal to the school about creating a policy for putting recycle bins next to every trash can. The proposal was turned down and so we are creating another proposal written by students to turn in. We are here today to inform you about the issue and see if we have your support. Could you please ask your constituents how they feel about this issue?
· Angela: Would they be in only academic buildings of residence halls
· Nick: Why was the proposal turned down?
· They did not like the idea of being told they had to have the recycling bin. They don’t want another policy forcing them.
· Nick: What would be the start up cost?
· Recycling is the easiest way to save money and get back what we pay for in start up costs?
· Haleigh: How much more labor would this require?
· 2 hours for 2 students and it would be work study
V. Senator Reports
· Haleigh: none
· Ciera: This Friday lot of high school counselors and 185 high school honor bands are coming to campus.
· Devon: none
· Megan: none
· D’Andre: Tomorrow is the last day for Carnaval presale tickets.
· Walker: I had my meeting about course evaluations and it went well. I got the reaction I expected; many were for it and many were weary. I found out I don’t need faculty approval and I thought I could draft a resolution from the SGA to show the student body support.
· Nick: Who can stop this from happening?
· Shelley: The proposal will have to go through Cabinet.
· Chris: Next Wednesday WRAP is showing Forest Gump at 7 pm in the ballroom.
· Nick: none
· Shayna: none
· Alan: none
· Anders: none
· Erika: Carnaval is on Saturday!
VI. Action Items
· Quiznos Pro Challenge Bill: moved to discussion items
· Budget 2011-2012
· D’Andre motions to vote on option 3 (100%)
· 12 out of 12 vote yes
· 100% passes
VII. Discussion Items
· Quiznos Pro Challenge bill: No representatives present.
· Grace: The budget committee met this morning and we talked more to Sara Phillips and we recommend allocating $1000 and then wait on the other $1000.
· Walker motions to move this bill to next week’s discussion
· Grace: We recommended only the money for the food, music and prizes.
· Jesse: The Quiznos bike race contract has not been signed yet and they are figuring out the logistics and insurance policies. There have been a lot of corporate sponsors and the community really wants this to happen because it will be a great money maker for the city and a great advertisement for Western.
· Nick: I think that is why we want to move the discussion to next week because we want to hear the details.
· Grace: Do you want them to come back and discuss the first $1000 or all of the $2000?
· Nick: The whole bill.
· Haleigh: Do they need the money right now?
· Grace: They would secure the event if they had the money now.
· Jamie: Inter Club Council just allocated money to 2 clubs and we don’t have that much left.
· Jesse: Is it possible to give the clubs money from next year’s budget?
· Jamie: It gets difficult because of the change of leadership each year. I don’t feel comfortable giving money before they participate in the event.
· Shelley: When they come back in April to discuss the event more, the clubs will have an idea of what they want to do at the event.
· Devon: I feel like because there are no representatives here we can’t really put it on action items next week because we want to ask them questions.
· Quiznos Pro Challenge bill moved to discussion items next week
VIII. Advisor Report
· Shelley: This Friday is the last day to disenroll from school with a 25% refund. If you have any classes that you are withdrawing from please check first because it can affect financial aid. I will be gone next week so have a good spring break!
IX. Committee Reports
· Academic Policies: Molly sent out the information about the 4 day classes so do you have any feedback?
· Jamie: Some that I talked to just didn’t like only having the longer classes.
· Shayna: I used to have a 4 day schedule and it was really nice. Some people I talked to said it would be good to have a 3 day weekend but some said it would be hard to pay attention because there would be no 50 minute classes.
· Ciera: Do you think it would it lead to more drinking on Thursdays?
· Inter Club Council: We met for a Climbing club and a Nordic club bill and allocated the money and they are both going to nationals. From now on we are out of money so clubs will be coming to SGA.
· Shayna: We are hoping to have prices for the new student apartments by the end of March. They are not sure if they can do a green house yet, they hope so but not sure if they will have enough money.
· Sarah: They want to gather suggestions for names for the apartments and then the top 5 will be on our ballot in April.
· Grace: We dissolved the Rage in the Sage committee. We told them that there needs to be more student support and they need to find another avenue.
· Program Council: March 10 we will have a great hypnotist on campus!
X. Advisory Reports
· Sarah: We traveled to Denver and it was a really exciting experience. We will start designing the inside of the apartments now.
· Lauren: The “We R Western” mission is to boost school morale and western community. We are hoping to teach students to “step up” when they see negative fan behavior. We will give out t-shirts when they finish the program. The march on the capitol today was great.
· Jesse: We got to the capitol and the march was canceled and no one told tell us. Instead, we went to the state capitol and watched some of the meetings. I was just at a meeting for the building of the new Gunnison library. Last night at city council we went over a housing authority update and medical marijuana bill that will be on the ballot soon.
· Molly: None
· Grace: We still have $5778 in our bill money and if you have receipts please get them to me. Active Minds is putting on a health conference the first week of April and is open for anyone! If you are interested we have student scholarships and student rates. We have a lot of different speakers. Please attend the budget meetings and encourage your avisors to as well! We want to hear your opinions!
· Travis: none
· Jamie: The club fair went really well. Women’s rugby got first and lax and cheer got 2nd place and 3rd place went to archery.
· Noah: This past weekend trip was canceled due to avalanche warnings and was moved to March 26.
· Angela: We had a meeting with the Top of the World and we are looking for ways for them to be self sufficient or increase their funds. One idea is for the Top to go under the Gunnison times (doesn’t help with the funding but just provides structure). We want to find incentives for students to work for the paper. Anyone want to work as editor in chief?
· Stephanie: Student Affairs had 3 bills and we allocated over $3000.
XI. Special Topics
XII. Remarks for the Good of the Order
· Shelley: Sign up for the etiquette dinner online at career services!!
· Jesse: The RTA said they had requested funding last year and Bill Nesbitt said it came from the sustainability fund.
· Shelley: We found the minutes and saw a discussion for this but there was no motion.
· Jesse: We should look into this because if we said we would we should give the money to them.
· Shelley: I am still looking into it.
· Jesse: Would you be ok if I typed up something for the RTA?
· Sarah: We saw in the minutes the allocation of $925 and then the discussion with sustainability but there was no action.
· Grace: We need to keep in mind that not every student uses the bus so would we really want to use student fees to fund this service?
· Jesse: It would be out of the sustainability fund not SGA.
· Shelley: So students could get on for free if the college allocates funding?
· Jesse: Yes and we would need to figure out some card system.
· Stephanie: I need a senator for a CLUE bill.
· Alan volunteers.
· Stephanie: Women’s hockey won this past weekend and we have another game this weekend.
· Sarah: Executive board, please stay after this meeting.
· Elijah: We are missing some office supplies from the PC office. Please return anything you use.
· Erika: I don’t think I am on the email list and I need a box.
· Sarah: We have been surprise checking senate boards so make sure you get them done.
· Haleigh: Where is the Mears board?
· Shelley: It is still in my office so facilities must be busy.
XIII. Late Roll Call