January 19, 2011
Minutes for January 19, 2011
I. Roll Call
· Noah, Chris, Anders
II. Approval of Minutes
III. Approval of Agenda
IV. Action Items
· Inductions of Allen Becca and Shayna!
V. Guest Speaker
VI. Special Topics
VII. Advisor Report
· The tour for Taylor Hall is tomorrow at 4:30. Do not wear flip flops or shorts. We are meeting at the Nunn Trailer on the south side. I picked up the key for the Crested Butte school for the retreat. The gym will be open to you.
VIII. Committee Reports
· You have all signed up for a new committee so get in touch with your advisor.
· D’Andre: I have not gotten a hold of Tom yet.
· Jamie: We gave $2000 to the Free Ride Ski team and the Alpine racing team will also be coming to us.
IX. Advisory Reports
· Grace: budget graphs
· Sabret: Our first meeting of the semester is this Thursday. Friday and Saturday track is in Boulder. The wrestling match is away as well.
· Travis: Intramural basketball starts Monday. We need more women’s teams! Reffing clinic is going on tonight.
· Jamie: Next club fair is Wednesday, January 26 from 11-1:00.
· Noah: This previous weekend we had beginning ice climbing clinics and this weekend we have Ice II clinics.
· Elijah: This week on January 27, 28, 29 and 30 we will be showing the X games in the ballroom. We have a Rail Jam this Friday at 6 pm and preregistration is in the lobby from 1:30-1:30 and it is a $10 buy in. We will have our 1st annual Winter Fest with a chili cook off.
· Angie: none
· Stephanie: none
X. Executive Reports
· Sarah: Tomorrow is an open student forum for the recreation field house in the ballroom. This will be somewhat like a progress report and will let people see it and express how they feel about it. I have designs if you would like to look at them. There has been discussion about community members using the new recreation center. What do you and your constitutions think about it? 20/20 meeting is from 2-5 in the north Ballroom. I need someone on Wednesdays from 2-3 to sit in for conference calls (sit in with the architects and others; you will be the student voice about the development of the center). Shayna volunteers.
· Jesse: Amigos is having a throwback dance next Thursday from 9 to midnight. Girls are free and guys are $1. March 4 will be Carnival.
· Lauren: We have the retreat this weekend and I have a list of items for you to bring. Come talk to me if you don’t have something. The retreat will be Saturday to Sunday and we will meet at noon at the SGA office on Saturday. We will get back around noon on Sunday. There is a sex positive meeting Tuesday January 25 at 12:30 in the conference room. Thursday January 27 from 4:30 to 8pm the SGA office will be closed for forums with WRAP.
· Molly: none
XI. Senator Reports
· Haleigh: I have the new white board sign ups finished and we will be putting boards into Chipeta and Mears. Does anyone have ideas on how to stop vandalism?
· Sarah: We could put the board in Sarah’s office.
· Haleigh: Connor wants to put up a TV screen in the residence halls in place of flyers. Would this be useful?
· Allen: We could possibly charge for advertisements.
· Ciera: Come to the rail jam on Friday from 6-9pm!
· Devon: Posters for “5 points at Western” have been put up. Please write on your senate boards to check out the 5 points program.
· Megan: none
· Austin: The press committee is going to take a different approach to the Facebook idea. Let me know if you have ideas
· D’Andre: We had a good outcome for the MLK speaker, he is also talking in the Mears complex now as well.
· Walker: Tomorrow night is the first meeting of the sustainability coalition. 7:30 tonight there is a movie showing in Kelley 103. I had an idea to make course evaluations public to the student body after the semester. I have a meeting with Jess Young tomorrow about this. If you have ideas let me know. She wanted to think of ways to get students to fill out more evaluations.
· Chris: none
· Nick: I was talking to the MMA club and they were struggling with getting more people interested in their club. I was helping them think of ideas of ways to get their name out and have a fundraiser so if anyone has ideas let me know. Talk to Shelley about ideas.
· Shayna: none
· Allen: none
· Anders: none
· Becca: none
XII. Discussion Items
XIII. Remarks for the Good of the Order
· Induction of Anders!
· Stephanie: Women’s hockey got their first win and we are playing tough teams this weekend.
· Jesse: Jamie, how much did you get back in your budget?
· Jamie: $7500
· Sarah: Grace and I were pulled aside by President Helman and he said that Mesa State is possibly changing their name to Western State University, but it is still very early in the process. Gary Pierson will talk to us more about it later.
· Lauren: Please tell me if you cannot make the retreat.
XIV. Late Roll Call
· Travis, Angela, D’Andre, Becca