February 16, 2011
Minutes for February 16, 2011
I. Roll Call
· Travis, Ciera, Stephanie, Anders, Chris
II. Approval of Minutes
III. Approval of Agenda
IV. Guest Speaker
V. Action Items
· Erika Espinoza voted as 13th senator
· Archery Club: I have tried to get involved on campus and wanted to start an archery club. I have been asking around and found some people who are interested. I have done this at my other college and would like to start something similar here at Western.
· Travis: How many students do you have interested?
· 5 that I have talked to.
· Travis: There is a league starting in the community maybe you guys could combine with them.
· Austin: I motion to vote
· D’Andre seconds
· Archery club established
VI. Discussion Items
· Arai-Brown with the Writing Center bill: The writing center is open to anyone and we are open 2pm to 10pm and we make appointments outside that time to assist some student’s needs. We ran out of money because our budget was cut. We were very busy in the fall and had more hours.
· Jamie: Is this a one-time thing? Will your budget increase?
· Yes it is and I doubt our budget will increase but we will manage.
· Grace: How much do they get paid?
· They start at minimum wage and I do have students that have been with me for 3 and 4 years and I give them a raise based on performance.
· Grace: Would you cut back on hours or stop making out of hour appointments?
· I would not cut back hours and yes we would try to not make as many appointments outside hours.
· Alan: Is there a way to start charging a nominal fee? How short were you on your funding?
· I had 5 tutors that were on state work study and then we found out that they were not eligible and did not get this money. I don’t want to charge for visits to the writing center. We were short about $3800.
· Devon: If we are unable to allocate the full amount what would you do?
· I have already gone to the foundation for some, they gave me $500, and I went to my department head and he is willing to give me any money left over at the end of year. I think all departments should support the writing center because everyone uses it.
· Angela: You are not covered by student fees?
· No we are covered by Academic Affairs
· Nick: How did you get the number $3918?
· This is a break up of how much money we need to keep the writing center open in one week and then multiply it by the last 12 weeks.
VII. Advisor Report
· Next Tuesday from 1-1:50 there will be an “All About You” workshop on coping with the unknown. March 1 there will be a “Mars vs Venus How to Practice Safe Stress,” workshop that talks about how men and women respond to stress differently. This will be in the South Ballroom from 12:30-1:45. Next week is eating disorder week and depression testing tables will be in the college center. Please tell everyone about the free counseling visits.
VIII. Committee Reports
· ICC: The rugby and alpine ski teams met with me and we allocated all the money they asked for.
· Rage in the Sage: We have some posters to put up and we will make copies and put them in your box. We want to try and get it on the ballot and that is what the advertisement is for.
· Angela: Do we have to vote as SGA to decide if we want it on a ballot?
· Lauren: We need a 10% student petition that needs to be started by a student.
· Sustainability: We are collecting proposals for projects because we still have a lot of funding. Submit your proposals by March 4 and send them to email@example.com
IX. Advisory Reports
· Sarah: I went to the Board of Trustees meeting last week and we learned there will be a budget increase in K-12 and the FAP aims between 500 and 550 and Western will experience a tuition raise. Brad Baca will come next week and show us the charts. Western may lose another 2 million dollars.
· Jesse: None
· Lauren: The Step Up program is next Thursday from 12:30-2:00 and you are required to be there. Please email me if you can’t come. February 25 is preview day. We are going to get your picture tonight if you haven’t taken one yet.
· Molly: None
· Grace: Next Tuesday is chocolate tasting at 7 pm in the ballroom. We have poster that will say “Rage in the Sage festival September 4 2011.” Psychology club is putting on a couch on skis event on the green monster hill from 10-3 on March 5. A guest speaker will be coming next Wednesday from 2-3 in the ballroom. All the surplus money went into sub committees (what we voted on last week). We have $5778.50 in bill money left.
· Devon: If the date is not approved for Rage in the Sage, how can we advertise for it?
· Grace: If it happens it will be on Labor day and we are just trying to get the idea out.
· Lauren: Maybe we could advertise the days they come to campus to talk instead.
· Grace: That’s a good idea we’ll look into it.
· Sabret: Basketball is here this Saturday and wrestling had their last home match last night and track will be at Mines.
· Travis: Soccer starts next week and we have 10 teams signed up so far. We are finishing up basketball an open gym starts soon.
· Jamie: Next Friday we will have a club fair from 2:45-3:15 in the college center.
· Noah: This past weekend we had the ice climbing festival and it went really well. Next weekend we have the Gothic hut trip for $40 and Ice III in Ouray.
· Elijah: Casino night is going on now and Winterfest is tomorrow so see you all there! 5pm-9pm and we have a rail jam and a hip-hop band. We will have a hypnotist March 10.
· Angela: Next Thursday February 24 Worde Horde open mic will be at Mochas at 7 pm and the Pathfinder submission fest will be on March 2 from 1:00-3:00 in Quigley room 129. We are looking for creative writing and art submissions. Posters for this will be up soon.
· Stephanie: There is a hip-hop class from 5pm-6pm and 6:30pm-7:30pm at the fitness center on Monday nights. There will be a career fair February 24 from 12:30-2:30 in theballroom. Women’s hockey has home games this weekend one at 3:30 on Saturday and one at 10:00 am on Sunday.
X. Senator Reports
· Haleigh: Please check your emails.
· Ciera: The free ride ski team is in Crested Butte this week.
· Devon: None
· Megan: None
· Austin: None
· D’Andre: None
· Walker: None
· Nick: None
· Alan: None
· Anders: None
XI. Special Topics
XII. Remarks for the Good of the Order
· Executive meeting after this.
· Grace: Whether you are for Rage in the Sage or not we need to get the word out to the students.
XIII. Late Roll Call
· Ciera, Chris, Elijah