August 25, 2010
I. Roll Call
· Absent: Ciera Glenn, Kaylani Harbert, Brian Whitfield,
II. Approval of Minutes
III. Approval of Agenda
Second: Sarah newberry
V. Guest Speaker
· Kristi Hargrove
· I am a community member from Crested Butte, active in education issues from k-12 to higher education for the past 8 yrs. As a parent I was mad about certain things going on in the systems. I decided to get educated about it. Why are things getting cut in our schools? I think today we are facing one of the most difficult years when talking about higher education goals. We formed a committee to oppose three proposals that will be on the ballot in November.
VI. Special Topics
· Inductions- Shelley leads
· Travis Elliot proposes to add Chris Brown to the discussion
-motioned by Rachel Davenport
VII. Advisor Report
· Jesse cruz- attends city council meetings- community affair on september 11 from 11-1
· Angela- we have not had our 1st meeting but will soon; Keating greeting is on Friday August 27 from 5-7pm (coth people are getting together to show the new theaters)
· Jamie- first club meeting is Thursday August 26 at 1:00 please come if you are an officer; September 1 is the first club fair. She needs a committee to help her with club fairs- end of the year is busy deciding which clubs are active. This will help determine the distribution of funding. Women’s hockey is interested in receiving funding. Senators can help write a bill for this.
· Elijah- This Friday program council is putting on a giant slip-n-slide at mountaineer bowl at 2:00. Come and have a great time, and if you can help set up please arrive at noon. Also, that night at 8 pm they are putting on a glow in the dark Frisbee game in the college field. This year we are hoping to get Program Council’s name out to the student body. We are adding new positions. Stephanie White is our new assistant director. Thank you for supporting the budget increase, it opened a lot of new opportunities. We plan on showing how much better Program Council will be. Come tell us any ideas, we like hearing student input! We want to hear about new events and want to help out as much as we can. We want to raise the bar this year.
· Travis- The horseshoes tournament is Monday August 30. Softball and flag football is coming up and you can sign up online. We are still looking for more refs so if you know anyone who has work study let them know. Senators put that on your boards. High mountain flyers (Chris Brown) wants to fund new Frisbee golf field- full 18 holes, map, numbers, arrows, tee off pads. Them atching baskets fund- allows us to divide the cost with them. This would leave us with a cost of $5750 (estimate). Intramurals is well off thanks to Natalie. We want to hear students input and see if this is something they are interested. Shelley: talk to students and get back to him.
· Lauren- spoke with Lenard (accountant) and good news: we are at estimated budget- no cut backs..
· Sabret- first SAC meeting this Thursday 7:30 and pictures at the practice field. Come to the gym for a pep rally starting at 7pm on Thursday August 26. They will introduce sports teams and will have raffles.
· Noah- our meeting is tomorrow at 9 pm. Many students say they had a lot of fun on our most recent WP trips. We are all sold out for our trips next weekend. We had a pool party last night and had over 100 people. That is a big number of people wanting to be active which gives us agood idea of what can happen this year.
· Stephanie- got in contact with all groups. Wants a committee to help her write bills.
· Sarah- the importance of the committee that Jami wants is to help decide funding for clubs. This helps determine if people are using their money properly. The first board of trustees meeting was in June. I learned the budget for all the new buildings. Next meeting is September 24 at 8 am in the north ballroom. We haven’t had our retreat yet, but we will address dress code and attendance policy then. I made folders with papers you all will need. Molly will pass out the sign-up list for office hours. Everyone will receive the Roberts Rules for Dummies book. Please leave them and your folders in your box in the office. Senators will elect a senate chair. Please write nominations and you will vote at our meeting next week. Their job is to ensure senators do their duties, and will work with VP of internal affairs. We will not have a VP of internal until the week before homecoming. Friday we did capture the bag for Week of Welcome and had no problems. We used the SGA recyclable bags as prizes. We have 4 senator positions and the VP of internal affairs position still available. Applications are due ON TIME- no later.
VIII. Committee Reports
· Budget committee
· Constitution committee
- Election committee
-brian, travis, devon (very important)
-Sarah: we met today- and spoke about the special election. Students can vote online and in SGA office (will have an officer in the office) voting ends at 4:00 on September 17
· Executive Committee
IX. Advisory Reports
· Shelley: There is a lot of stuff going on around campus. We found out there is a lot of asbestos in old buildings. It is definitely a concern in the ceiling and floor tiles in Shavano. Our facilities worked together and did 35 rooms in 2 days. We have someone certified to work with it and had someone else come in and help. Those rooms are now fit for students to live in. Good job to facilities! We are transitioning students from Alpine to Tomichi. They are trying to clear out Keating hall once Taylor is done. Facility apartments will lose heat when Keating is taken offline. The residents will be moved to Alpine. Students in Alpine had a choice- they were offered 2 bedrooms and a meal plan to move or could keep an appartment. Grand opening weekend went great and facilities and residence life were great. Last night we had a water line in Escalante explode. Facilities has been working hard to fix it. Student affairs in crystal and fitness center and health center all were affected. Residence life staff was amazing last night. Custodians were there until 3:00 am. The floor in the climbing wall center is ruined and second floor will be opened by noon tomorrow. Some student rooms were impacted. We are making many transitions with staff and new positions. Jerri P will be going to computer services. We will be hiring in mountaineer card office also. We are also getting new toilets. Back in April 2009, energy efficiency came and saw problems with our old toilets. We borrowed 1.5 million dollars to put energy efficient toilets and lights in. They will first be put into Mears hall complex, and then Chipeta. Next week there will be water closures in Mears. This is all going towards our presidents climate commitment. We are also replacing new hydrants around campus. Tomorrow Mears will be without water. There is a lot of construction going on around campus. Welcome back!
X. Discussion Items
· pictures in practice field and athletics pep rally in gym Thursday August 26
· zombies vs humans is coming this week- online sign up; meeting tonight
· breakfast for $1 is tonight at madjacks
· club meeting tomorrow
· SAC meeting Aug 31
· Horseshoe tournament on Monday Aug 30
· Slip in slide 2 pm on on Fri Aug 27 and Frisbee at night
· Sarah: SGA contact sheet in office and all our boxes are set up
· Jesse- make sure you sign up on all the sign-up sheets
XI. Action Items
XII. Remarks for the Good of the Order
XIII. Late Roll Call
· Absent- Kaylani Harbert
· Motion: Jesse