August 31, 2011
Minutes for August 31st, 2011
I. Roll Call
II. Approval of Minutes
III. Approval of Agenda
IV. Guest Speaker
· Ceria Glenn- Enrollment counselor working on social media
Facebook group-goal: to get all current students to a main access page. Enter Western email address and can sign up for face book app, then you can sign up for what you are interested in, meeting times, minutes and other things for clubs can be posted and shared. Each member can see what is posted, but it is mostly for students, no adults can see, only specific groups and students can see. Resident halls can be groups. This is a great way for students to stay active, and a great opportunity for students to connect. Engage the student population, great to post. Future students will be invited once accepted into Western.
V. Senator Reports
· Erika: No
· Allen: No
· D'Andre: Football has first home game Saturday at 1:00. Rare Air is closing for that time, for a tailgate to get a meal on Saturday.
· Kayla: No
· Nicole: No
· Chase: No
VI. Action Items
VII. Discussion Items
§ Held on October 1st, SGA runs homecoming, hosts the parade, lighting of W, bond-fire, Alumni, publicity-contacting media, order supplies for float, W-cotton, royalty ordering crowns getting people nominated, parade (getting permits), organizations, marshall, check sheet, bonfire talking to sports teams to attend, bowl decorations (happen day of)
§ Sarah: Western’s 100th year. October 1st football game, September 31st dance
§ Club team games? All games happening that week to advertise.
o Office Hours
§ Make sure we have a face in SGA office to be available if needed, SGA related activities, keep office clean, be PRODUCTIVE
§ 4/Advisory committee
o Committee Sign-Up
§ Club fair sign-up sheet, 30 minute slots, wear “We R Western” T’s
§ Mark has his own committee (Nicole D’Andre & Chase)
o Sustainability Conference Bill
Maddy, Emily V., and Emily L.: Association for Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE). Pittsburgh 8-12th of October for annual conference student represented at conference, not as many students attending since it is not in Colorado. Lenny, Virzi, and Maddy want to see what other student are doing across different campuses to bring it back to Western. A one-hour slot for presenting at the conference to promote education and awareness on campus, A program/mixer distributing power strips to students. Getting new information from other students can further Westerns strategic plan. As positions develop, a good way to outreach to administration and faculty. Lucky to have this opportunity to show that other students at other campuses have similar opportunities. A portion for round trip tickets $963, $672 for hotel, $1600 total requesting $1500 from SGA. Thing learned at the conference will be eventually filled by newcomers, widen knowledge and keep knowledge among students. At lease one representative from every state.
Kayla: How long have you been a club on campus? How are you continuously using your knowledge to further W?
Emily: Not a club, paperless advertising, power pledge, power strips going to freshman for dorms, free cycle going (recycling all things not recyclable for free), Reduce reuse recycle committee, creating education and awareness for students.
Maddy: this summer in the residents hall 100 recycling bins were once there, now 450 recycling bins, informational pamphlet Western recycling guidelines. To see what other students have done will help expand sustainability initiatives at Western.
Sarah: Oversee and explain what is going on campus
IF not all donated, what?
Maddy: Sustainability commission, or own pockets.
VIII. Advisor Report
· Total bill money $9,252 for the year, after safe ride.
· Shelley Jansen introduction, opening weekend was amazing and kind of crazy at the same time WOW, pro cycling etc. energy was great student were engaging in and off campus, seems like a good class with good energy, wellness workshops to talk about how tot transition from HS to Western. Good neighbor program tomorrow night 6 or 7 years, staff members go out in community, how to be appropriate neighbors, talk about party quietness and politeness, 1000 fine for off campus parties hosting students that are drinking under age, an educational program, how to be a good neighbor. 5:30pm tomorrow at community center, pizza! Open house from 4-6 community member and students. Looking for two students to participate in Sodexho food committee to give feedback after lunch as to why/why not to include certain food items. They meet every month Sept 14th @ 12:30 at Rare Air Café, off-campus no current meal plan. Sign up & pull names from hats. Labor day this weekend and no classes on Monday! Tail gate at mountaineer bowl, next Wednesday last day to drop classes without a W. implicate for financial aid if student goes under 12 cr. Preliminary enrollment numbers, looking like 60 full time student below last year. Why are we turning students away from Western? Office in SE corner of Taylor hall.
· ADHOC: this upcoming month marks the anniversary of Sept. 11th, even though we are not really effected here at Western, we have an obligation to remember the people that lost their lives that day. Open for suggestions and ideas
· D’Andre: hand out shirts, it’s a cool deal
IX. Committee Reports
· Recreation Center Field House, met every Tues. this summer to see student apartments, to add what students really wanted (hot tub, foam pit, ice-climbing wall coming through alt. funding). Gold certification for res. Halls with the student apartments (pinnacle) furniture committee picks supplier and mocks rooms to pick what furniture is most suitable and functioning for students.
X. Advisory Reports
· Erika: No
· Sarah: We had our first step up certification on Monday, thanks lacrosse for all members showing up, coach Dave has been there from the start. Step Up intervention and alcohol awareness training, hazing, eating disorders, Sept. 6th for female athletes in Taylor 228 7pm, peer educating. Politics club looking for new member Kelley 201, September 16th first board of Trustees meeting on Campus
· Nick: First city council meeting, fun. Mayor is 41 years old, Western grad, has been here for 20 years. Freshman will know ditches will be emptied last day of Sept. 10,000 for baseball fields on Teller, new scoreboard, infield, etc. Use it a lot in summer and for club team. Gunny rising, annexation, renovation of hiking/biking trails 3-4 years outdated, changes are mind-blowing. HS recently put lights on football stadium, first game this Friday night, it will be cool. Amped about pro challenge, no exact numbers but will know pretty soon. Typed up 2 letters for returners, welcome back, for freshman a different letter, with some other stuff (sentimental).
· Haleigh: Float Committee Bond-fire sign-up
· Grace: Sex Plus Club on campus that promotes healthy relationships on campus, Sept. 14th 4pm in LEED office, at club fair tomorrow. PPT, intramurals birthday. Rundown of budget and rundown of budget to get other students not in SGA to allocate money. Student fees $337,545, money has approved to spend $35,000 mostly salaries, and bill-fund: safe ride, everyone else gets budget from SGA, wilderness pursuits etc. Questions about safe ride cost allocation, do bars contribute to fund? Based on figures that was approved last year, but may change with low enrollment. Clubs have their own fundraising abilities. How to write a bill for senators. Get every bill to each member, and revisions for executive members to sign. Person who writes bill needs to be present.
· Access reserve: some years we do not spend all money allocated, we guarantee that there will always be 20K in reserve, but currently about 40K. The money we have was assuming there was full enrollment, but we can use reserve to supplement SGA fund. We need to decide whether or not to draw from reserve. Senators vote, when budget is not 100%. Kept growth rate the exact same as last year. Talk about the issue at budget committee meeting, Wednesday 8am.
· Meg: No
· Blake: Volleyball game at Angelo state starts on Friday, wish the ladies luck.
· Mark: No
· Travis: New intramural website, cool social networks with sports, specialize for teams, communicate, flag football starts Tuesday softball starts Wednesday, 93 users, 7 teams for football 10 for softball. Spread the word.
· Hayden: Anyone not in athletics please encourages them to come out for club sports. If they have questions fin Hayden in fitness center or during office hours.
· Elijah: Program Council few members short from last year, people are reapplying for positions, an event coming up a group like STOMP performing (percussion) known as the fastest drummer in the world, sponsored by music department, We have been trying to get these performers here for 2 years. Comedian for end of year. Looking gravy.
· Aurora: No
· Noah: Check out the paddleboards. Some Universities are recording lectures in case it is missed see if some professors would be willing to do that (stream or podcast).
· Middy: No
XI. Special Topics
XII. Remarks for the Good of the Order
· Shelley: Travis made other messages for intramurals, disc golf course complete, and down-hill biking, quite the upgrade, disc-golf tournament
· Mountaineer Monday? Powder Puff game-spread hype. Tournament with smaller teams, round robin, up for any suggestions.
· Sarah: Excellent turn out for ice cream social. Reinforce no cell phones, be alert, no food, business casual.
· Erika: Grace had a tour this week of a prospective student, she had an accident when she was younger and now she is in a wheel chair, visited adaptive sports and WP for students that are handicapped. Is coordination between WP and adaptive sports possible?
· Haleigh: Senators who signed up for committees.
· Sarah: App’s due at 5pm, tomorrow, elections next week.
XIII. Late Roll Call