September 1, 2010
Minutes for September 1, 2010
I. Roll Call
· Sabret Cafasso, Jamie Hamsa,
II. Approval of Minutes
III. Approval of Agenda
· Motion: Travis
· Move to add Head Senator elections: Lauren
IV. Guest Speaker
V. Special Topics
· Payment of program council members:
· Elijah- We want to get more of our Program Council positions paid. I wrote a proposal. (add proposal) This has many stipulations and these PC members work hard to receive it. PC is under SGA and I feel that all together we are THE SGA. I think it would be nice for SGA to commend them. (add in new payments) This is an extra $500 a month plus the $100 gift certificate.
· Sarah: Are your positions being paid by SGA and PC? Stephanie White for example?
· Elijah: Yes they get a small stipend from each.
· Grace: When you did employee of the month last year was it $100?
· Elijah: I was not a part of that so I don’t know.
· Stephanie: This extra money will give the incentive to work hard.
· Jesse: Technically, with office hours the wage comes out to be about $3/ hour. Is that ok?
· Elijah: They are paid by a stipend and not a salary.
· Brandon: D you think this boost in the stipend will give them an incentive? Elijah: Yes. It gives them something to work towards.
· Stephanie: It allows us to delegate more jobs and not do all the work ourselves.
· Devon: What does this stipend take away from SGA? What does it affect? Elijah: The money comes out of our budget- and we did get a budget increase.
· Shelley: Historically they used to pay Program Council members a lot more. We got rid of it because it was hard to keep them accountable but I trust Stephanie and Elijah.
· Stephanie: We like suggestions on how to keep people accountable.
· Jesse: I think keeping attendance is best.
· Rachel: How does it affect the budget?
· Lauren: With the budget inc you can do a lot more so there will be more work- offering this incentive is important.
· Grace: I think secretary deserves more money than $25 a month.
· Elijah: As of now there, job is not very demanding.
· Rachel: How will this accountability stand after you (Elijah) leave?
· Elijah: I’m not sure but we need to instill structure, titles, and expectations.
· Travis: Do we (SGA) vote on this, or is it up to you?
· Elijah: It is up to us, but we care what SGA thinks. We want the communication between the two to be strong.
· Motion: Haleigh
· Second: Rachel
VI. Advisor Report
· Poster sale tomorrow Friday September 3, no school on Monday. The college has seen a 1% increase in enrollment which is exciting. We hope for more. There is a healthy relationships workshop on Tuesday September 7 from 1:00-1:45. Senators, put this on your boards. September 8 is the deadline for a refund for meal plan and last day to add or drop classes.
· Brandon: What’s 1%?
· Shelley: That’s about 50 people which is a lot of money for WSC.
· Motion: Brandon
· Second- Brian
VII. Committee Reports
· Constitution- sun 745 pm in sga office to go over what we went over at retreat. Make sure you all check your box because inside is the constitution, bylaws and committees.
· Election- meeting at 345 in sga office Friday- will go over rules with vp internal and senators. Travis grace Stephanie devon are on committee
· Retreat-Ciera: good group of people, productive. Noah: good, but I want to get to know people better further… follow up with grace- WP is working on a trip for SGA, I am taking suggestions for what you all want to do
· Homecoming- need 4 more people for publicity (devon, haleigh, lauren) 3 more for float (devon- I thought we could do just general heroes- greek mythology- Hercules, gods, Mt. Olympus) +Molly and _____ Bonfire (2)- Brian and Stephanie. Parade (3) Travis, Rachel. Alumni will donate money for prizes for parade. Alumni (3) Grace, Angie. Royalty: Devon,
· ICC: Jamie- today was the club fair- all showed up except 1, people were very excited. She needs 3 senators for judging the clubs at each event. Who wants to help? It’s not very time consuming. Ciera, Rachel, Grace (same committee for end of year)
· Program Council- slipn slide (150+ came) and Frisbee very successful, can be dangersou but we had wavers. Frisbee- at one time 25 on each team. A recent purchase we made was a giant inflatable screen for movie in a blanket. Free to any club. Coming soon. We almost have all our positions filled
· 2nd- Rachel
VIII. Advisory Reports
· Sabret (sarah)- football traveling to Montana, vball texas and cc to csu
· Travis- Horsehoes tournament went well. Senators put up flag football and softball.
· WP- Noah- last weekends trips all sold out. This week interm white water and sea kayaking. Free WP trips as raffle tickets at homecoming
· PC- Elijah- none
· Angie CCE- Trying to get new directors settled in. sept 27 buddy wakefield is coming back. We don’t have to pay him. Quiggley 7 dollars at door (7 or 7:30). Auditions going on tomorrow for the play
· President Sarah: senators stay after meeting. Retreat went excellent, it’s great to see everyone in the office for office hours. Sept 24 at 7 is board of trustees meeting. Apps due by 4 on Friday! We need 6 senators and 1 vp of internal
· Student affairs; Stephanie- I want one more senator for my committee to write bills
· Treasurer lauren- waiting for actual numbers after sept 8. We started with 6, 534 26, 400 for salaries. We are left with 6,094.60 after spending. We talked about paying head senator which is in our budget. Let me know if you have questions. I’m sending around budget reports
· VP- Jesse- city council did not meet
· Motion: Haleigh
· Snd: Brandon
IX. Senator Reports
· Brandon- asked a lot about fris golf- very mixed some are excited. Why is Western a dry campus? Shelley: there was funding attached back in the day, but now so many issues with state funding we lost money. Most people thought our campus was underage. I researched and saw over 1000 were overage. Basically it’s just been like that. If the opportunity arises I think it could teach students to drink responsibility. Maybe years down road games room could provide that. Grace: so it’s up to the students? Devon: or Jay Helman? Shelley: both. Def could be something reviewed
· Haleigh- Frisbee golf course- some very interested others didn’t know what it was, but thought itd be nice to have decent place to go to
· Ciera- fris course- knoew where it was but didn’t use it. Attended and helped judge at club fair- very enthusiastic.
· Grace- I took a poll in my govnt class about fris- about ½ said they were interested- good thing cuz freshman so they’ll be here a while to use it. I thought club fair was awesome today.
· Devon- fris golf- not many spoke up about it, some friends said yes.
· Rachel- I know a lot who play at mid school so it would be good to have one here
· Brian- fris- idea about renting out discs from fitness center or front desk. Hard to keep track of? Jesse- throwing in some obstacles would be cool. Grace: can people from other clubs borrow our butcher paper? Shelley: yes because it is paid by student fees.
· Motion- sarah
· 2nd- haleigh
X. Discussion Items
· Office hours board- on door, initial name and trade hours with someone else if you have something come up, we want faces in SGA office
· Announce available SGA positions in class- 6 senators one of them is for freshman or transfer. Haleigh: has anyone contacted Gp about talking to alps students? I will.
· Shirts- voted on Teal shirts, looking for artists to design
· Refunds from the flooding in Escalante fitness center- jesse: my friends are asking this. Shelley: probably will just put down mats so that people can use it. Upstairs is still open.
· Motion: Haleigh
· 2nd: brian
XI. Action Items
· New Constitution- sarah: postponed til next wed
· Head Senator Elections
· Brandon- I nominate devon
· Ciera- I nominate Haleigh
· Vote: between Devon and Haleigh.
· Majority goes to Haleigh Hanifen
· Motion: Haleigh
· 2nd: Brandon
XII. Remarks for the Good of the Order
· Our designer could partner with you for SGA shirts- Kristin Schedell
· Sarah- we could have used more presentation at club fair. Someone told me they didn’t like SGA because we did nothing.
· Travis- Thank you senators for your input. I am walking the proposed fris course at 3 on Friday
· Lauren- senators- when we talk to constituents get numbers so we have a better idea.
· Devon- I am apart of LEAD trying to get people involved. I got a suggestion, maybe we can take in pictures such as photo of the month. Student of the month. Community or on campus events. LEAD would provide a small prize.
· Individual pictures done before next meeting
· Meeting moved to 7:15
· Motion: Devon
XIII. Late Roll Call
· Missing: Sabret Cafasso , Jamie Hamsa (excused for Volleyball)
· Motion: Sarah
· 2nd: Lauren