February 23, 2011
Minutes for February 23, 2011
I. Roll Call
II. Approval of Minutes
III. Approval of Agenda
IV. Discussion Items
· Spectrum Bill-Devon: Kevin Taylor: I am one of the advisors here for Spectrum. We want to bring in the author of the book about Matt Shepard. The book has a really interesting perspective of what happened during and after the event. She will come and do some readings and participate in discussions. Laramie is a lot like Gunnison, bigger but similar. There are many students like Matt Sheperd that enroll here every year. We are budgeting for $1200. We want to do this project to get more involved in the community. This year the communications and theater department will be putting on a show about this issue. There will also be the first gay ski week at CB. We want to tie our event into these community events.
· Devon: We like to add in the bills that all the excess money will come back to SGA.
· Jesse: Do you have a date set?
· We are not sure yet but we are thinking the last week of March tentatively.
· Lauren: If we do not allocate all the money what would you do?
· This connection came up quickly but we as a group will be brainstorming other ideas. We are looking to put on a huge drag show which will bring in funding.
· Austin: Where will the event be held?
· It will be in the College center and other areas on campus.
· Quiznos Bill-Walker: Nicole Poleman and Taylor Birdsal. The event is including many bicyclists that move through Gunnison. There will be a 2-3 hour period that they will be in town and then the next day they will close down part of Main for an event. We want to promote Western State and our community. We want to ask the clubs to participate as well and any other ideas.
· Sarah: Is the $1000 for the club events and guest speaker?
· Yes this would be divided up for anything they need. We would have a limit for each club.
· Nick: Where will this be held?
· We’re thinking maybe by Legion Park somewhere along Highway 50.
· We would like to do a breakfast put on by Sodexo also.
· Nick: How do you plan to advertise?
· We plan to hand out flyers to orientation because it is during the Week of Welcome.
· Gary Pierson: There is a city planning committee that WSC is a part of. This is a day for Western to really shine. There is a sprint race and we are looking to have this finish right by the Western State College sign. We are looking to be very involved with the community.
· Grace: Are you putting this on by yourself or through PC?
· We just took it over because we will both be here this summer.
· Jesse: Make sure before you start that we sign the contract with the Quiznos bike race.
· Jamie: What do you mean by club involvement?
· Similar to a club fair- if they want to put on events or get their name out we will help fund them with this money. We are very open to their ideas.
· Jamie: Email me your ideas and I can email all of the clubs to let them know.
· Lauren: If we do not allocate all the money what would you do?
· We were going to talk to WRAP, ICC, and year of sustainability.
V. Action Items
· Writing Center Bill- Not happening anymore
VI. Guest Speaker
· Brad Baca, Vice President of Finance: I was here back in late September. Last time we talked about the difference between public and private education. We are experiencing increased costs for students because of budget cuts. This is not unique to Colorado but all states are suffering. What has happened since then? We elected a new governor and have a new control of state house. We will still face a sizable shortfall. We hit a high water mark of funding a couple years ago. We had a drop of 50 million dollars in the current year and next year we are looking at another downfall. In 2 years there has been a 26% drop in higher education funding. Higher education funding is in a steady decline. Our campus is similar to the overall state situation. On the news they speak about percentage change in tuition, but this does not give the dollar amount. Higher percentage increase could seem less at a college but could be a higher dollar amount than others. Western will still be one of the cheaper colleges in Colorado. Governing boards will be revising their FAPS because of the greater state budget costs. Under the new model we are looking at about 14.6% tuition increase and 5% increase for non-resident increase. Most other colleges will be increasing as well. Right now we are in the process of planning our budgets for next year. We will have another revenue forecast in March. If numbers change between December and March whether good or bad can change the outcome. The governor has issued many other proposals as well. These issues will play out and give us a better idea of where we will be next year. In the next week or so we will bring Leonard in to present our proposals for room and board, fees, and tuition. As an administer, I recommend that we watch our costs and with the tuition fee raising and facility fee, we do not want to add any higher fees.
· Austin: will you be cutting funding to any programs?
· Right now we are not. We will be using some of our reserve that we have built up over the years.
· Walker: Is there any idea how this tuition raise will affect enrollment across the stage?
· Tuition has still been increasing at 9% each year and we still see more students come- this could be a reflection of the economy being that there are not many jobs available. We want to ensure access and we want to be able to provide need based financial aid.
· Gary: We are looking to eliminate course fees (such as for art, science etc.)
· Nancy Gauss, Library Director: There is a 1911 Taylor Time Capsule that we will get to see. We want to put in a time capsule for 2011. I am seeking some help from SGA and the student body. We want to host a student essay contest. I want to see if you would be interested to help promote this. Would you help financially and create a small committee? Would SGA like to contribute something to the time capsule?
· Austin: What is the $375 you mentioned?
· This would used to give gift certificates to the winners.
· Chris volunteers to sponsor the bill
· Angela: Is this contest for this academic year?
· Yes and would be installed beginning of next year. This would be for spring semester.
· Austin: We could have someone from the English department decide which essays win.
· Chris: We are looking at having either volunteers or SGA members deciding which essays. If you have anyone that you think would be interested let me know.
· Nick: We could put them up on the Western website and around campus for students to read and vote.
· Grace: Could we do all of the Top O’ the World articles from 2011?
· We can look into it. The space is a pretty good size and will be outside the President’s office.
· Angela: We could put in an issue of the Pathfinder in because it is a review of the whole year.
· Submit your suggestion to Chris and he can bring them back to me.
VII. Senator Reports
· Haleigh: none
· Ciera: Preview day is on Friday.
· Devon: none
· Austin: none
· D’Andre: Saturday March 5 is Carnaval from 9pm-2am at Timbers. Buy your tickets at the MCC office:$5 for 21+ and $7 for 18-20 (presale) $10 at the door.
· Walker: Monday I am going to the faculty senate to talk about course evaluations and I still would love to hear your ideas. The meeting is at 4:15 on Monday.
· Chris: Next week WRAP is putting on a guitar hero tourney at 8pm March 2 in the ballroom There is a $2 buy in and the money goes to safe ride.
· Nick: none
· Shayna: none
· Anders: none
· Erika: Tuesday APIC is having a sushi night.
VIII. Advisor Report
· Progress reports for new students and those on probation are out. NSE deadline is coming Tuesday March 1. Sustainability fund requests are due next Friday.
IX. Advisory Reports
· Sarah: We will put that the field house designs on a board in the college center.
· Jesse: If anyone is interested in marching on the capital on March 2 from 11am-2pm for higher education funds and wear your school colors and we’ll bring a western flag.
· Lauren: Tomorrow is the Step Up program at 12:30-2 and is mandatory so if you can’t make it let me know. We will meet in Crawford 101. On Friday is Preview day and the club fair is from 2:45-3:15 so wear your T-shirts and be friendly. Cap and gown rental is Monday February 28.
· Molly: The education students that petitioned to graduate this May were granted permission!
· Grace: If we have bills next week we can’t hear them until after spring break. Please notify me if you have anyone contact you.
· Sabret: The last basketball games are Friday and Saturday at 6 and 8 pm and wrestling will be in San Francisco and track has conference at Kearney.
· Travis: We have 15 teams signed up for intramural soccer and open gym starts the following week
· Noah: We have intermediate backcountry skiing this weekend and we have great spring break trips planned.
· Elijah: Winterfest was a great success and the rail jam was really good. We had about 100 people for the concert. We had lots of good feedback about the band. March 10 at 8pm we will have a hypnotist and the show will be rated PG13/R.
· Angela: Next wednesday in Quigley 129 from 1-3 is the Pathfinder submission fest. Worde horde is tomorrow at Mochas at 7 pm.
X. Committee Reports
· Academic Policies: We are letting the education students that petitioned walk in May. I have information about the 4 day schedule that Molly will email to you all.
· Grace: The budget committee met this morning and we will email you the information and you will vote on it next week.
· Chris: Does SGA want to submit something to the time capsule for next year? Does anyone have ideas?
· Jesse: Maybe a current picture of SGA and events we have helped fund.
· Grace: We could do the 5 points poster.
XI. Special Topics
XII. Remarks for the Good of the Order
· D’Andre: When you tell your friends about Carnaval tell them they cannot bring purses or bags at all.
· Wear your SGA shirts on Friday for Preview day.
· Club Fair: Molly, Sarah, D’Andre,
XIII. Late Roll Call
· Jamie, Alan