Parent & Family Orientation Schedule
2013 Parent & Family Orientation Schedule
Please keep in mind that this schedule is tentative and some details may change. More events will be listed once details confirmed; please
check this webpage again or reference the schedule in your orientation packet once you arrive to campus on August 21.
- Orientation Check-In • 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. • University Center
- Intercollegiate Athletics • 4 – 5 p.m. • University Center
Is your student a NCAA athlete? Please attend this session so that you may meet Athletics department staff, hear about NCAA rules/regulations and expectations and what you can do to support your student as they learn to balance academics and athletics.
Campus tours will be available leaving from University Center at noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m. & 3 p.m.
- All Campus BBQ • 5-7 p.m. • University Center Patio
- Talking Parent-to-Parent • 6:30-7:30 p.m. • President's Campus Residence (If rain: West Wing of the Leslie J. Savage Library)
Hosted by President Brad Baca, this is an opportunity for parents to meet Western faculty & staff who themselves have a son or daughter in college over dessert.
- Breakfast • 7-8:30 a.m. • Rare Air Cafe, University Center
- Orientation Welcome • 9-10 a.m. • Mountaineer Bowl (If rain: Paul Wright Gym)
- Dean's Chat • 10 - 11:30 a.m. • Ruby Cinema, University Center
Gary Pierson, Vice President for Student Affairs, will discuss academics, co-curricular activities and parental rights. You will also briefly hear from Jerry Martinez, Director of Financial Aid. (If you have individual questions, you may meet with Health & Counseling Center staff later in the day from 3-4 p.m. in the University Center North Conference Room.)
- Lunch & Campus Resource Fair • 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. • Rare Air Cafe, University Center Patio
- Residence Life Session • 1-2 p.m. • Ruby Cinema, University Center
Meet the Residence Life staff, the people who will see your student daily over the academic year. Learn about the Living/Learning Communities, department philosophy and policies specific to the residence halls.
(If you have individual questions, you may meet with Residence Life staff later in the day from 3-4 p.m. in University Center 117.)
- Academic Department Meeting • 2-3 p.m. • Various locations
Meet faculty members from your student’s academic major and learn more about the specific program. (Student Residence Assistants (RAs) will escort you from the Residence Life session.)
- Campus Resources Meet & Great• 3-4 p.m. • Various locations
Staff will be able to meet with you if you have individual questions or would like more information about any of the following programs.
…Academic Resource Center • Taylor Hall 302
Learn how this office provides resources & support that can be critical to your student's success at Western.
…Disability Services: Support & Programs • Taylor Hall 302
…Financial Aid • Taylor Hall Lobby
Financial Aid staff will be available to answer your specific questions and/or show you how to navigate your student's account.
…Health & Counseling Center Information Session, North Conference Room • University Center
Individual health/insurance questions may be asked at this time.
…LEAD (Leadership, Engagement and Development) and On-Campus Work Study Job Opportunities • University Center 118
…Life at Western: A student perspective • University Center Boardroom
Hear a student perspective about life at Western. Students Kevin Adams & Laura Miess will be on hand to share their stories, answer your questions and give advice.
…Residence Life • University Center 117
Individual questions may be asked at this time.
…Study Abroad/National Student Exchange • University Center Boardroom
…Wilderness Pursuits • University Center 120
Come learn about our student led outdoor program.
- Family Farewell Reception • 4-5 p.m. • University Center Patio
- New Recreation Center & Field House Tour • 4:30 p.m. • University Center Patio (down by the skatepark)