Countdown to New Student Orientation 2013
August 21: Orientation begins....
Your first day of New Student Orientation will be action packed! Besides meeting lots of new people, be ready to:
- Arrive to campus and move into your assigned residence hall (halls open at 8 a.m.)
- Check-in for New Student Orientation in the University Center and receive your specialized packet of information with your detailed schedule (8 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Have your picture taken for your Mountaineer I.D. Card (University Center)
- Join Western faculty and staff for a Welcome BBQ dinner at 5 p.m. at the University Center Patio.
August 22-25: Orientation continues....
Over these days, you will rotate through four workshops, which include:
New Student Orientation Schedule
(Detailed schedule will be available to download in August)
Other Orientation highlights:
- Check out Crested Butte Mountain Resort (CBMR)! On Sunday, August 25, join us and be the guest of CBMR up valley in Crested Butte. Enjoy live music, incredible scenery and new friends at the ski resort that has put this valley on the extreme skiing map!
- Freshman Advising: Meet your academic advisor. You will also have an opportunity to meet returning and transfer students in your area of interest, as well as learning about other interesting opportunities in your field of study.
- Find a job. Orientation will host a Work-study Job Fair that will be required for all new students who are awarded federal or state work-study funding. Visit Western's Work-study webpage for more information about working on campus.
- You will also have an opportunity to attend optional workshops. Join faculty Suzy Coykendall for her famous Sex 101 workshop or learn the nuts and bolts about budgeting your money at a Financial Literacy workshop--it is never too early to learn this information now that you are embarking on life on your own!
- Evening programming.... part of the fun of being in college is just the opportunity to meet other college students. Each evening, many of the campus clubs and organizations will be hosting various activities, such as a pool party, climbing events, town excursions, movies and more. Check your New Student Welcome packet for a list of activities. Better yet, ask your Orientation Leader and go with them!
- Much, much more...
Note: New Student Orientation is required for all first time freshman* and transfer students with 23 credits or less. Students are signed up automatically when you register for classes. We have a Transfer & Non Traditional Student Orientation designed to meet a transfer students specific needs. This program is encouraged, though not required, for new students entering Western with 24 credits or more. Learn more about our Transfer Orientation here....
(*This applies to any student entering WSCU who has not lived on a residential campus before.)
Summer Wilderness Based Orientation: August 17-21, 2013
This optional program, taken in addition to New Student Orientation, gives you the ultimate unique experience! Join other new students on courses varying in time and difficulty that venture into the Colorado backcountry. Each course is led by some of our finest student leaders who give you instruction on adventure activities and beginning college. Learn More »
Week of Welcome: August 26-August 31, 2013
Western State Colorado University's Week of Welcome (WOW) is a time to welcome all new Western students, while also allowing you time to get acclimated prior to the start of classes on Monday, August 26; there will also be events going on throughout the first week of classes. Through Western's WOW, you will be provided experiences to gain a better understanding of the University and its many involvement opportunities. You also will have the opportunity to explore the Gunnison area through our Wilderness Pursuits Program. Learn More »