- Ph.D., University of California Santa Cruz
- B.A., Pomona College
- Igneous & Metamorphic Petrology
- Research in Volcanology & Petrology
- GIS & Remote Sensing
- Planetary Geology
- Plate Tectonics
- Economic Geology
My research and teaching interests include all aspects of igneous petrology and volcanology. Since coming to Western my students and I have had many projects on the igneous rocks of the Gunnison Basin. These projects include:
the petrology and geochemistry of the old Precambrian island arc exposed south of town;
petrology and volcanic structures in the large Oligocene ash flow sheets from the San Juans exposed around Blue Mesa Reservoir;
petrology and volcanology of West Elk Volcano;
petrology and geochemistry of the Gunnison Laccolith cluster that makes up the high peaks north of town, including Crested Butte;
petrology and geochemistry of the Miocene flood basalts that makeup Flat Top, Red Mountain, Grand Mesa etc.;
- petrology and geochemistry of the post ash-flow (Hinsdale) shoshonite and latite lavas exposed on the north slope of the San Juan volcanic field.
- petrology and geochemistry of Tomichi Dome.
- Geologic Map of the McIntosh Mt. Quadrangle
- Geologic Map of the Little Soap Park Quadrangle
- Geologic Map of the Almont Quadrangle
- Geologic Map of the Gunnison Quadrangle
- Geologic Map of the Signal Peak Quadrangle
Recent Student Projects:
Brian Coven, Absolute Age and Petrographic Analysis of the Inception of the West Elk Volcanic Field, Gunnison County, Colorado.
Ryan Murphy, Mid-Tertiary Intrusives of the West Elk Mountains, Gunnison County, Colorado.
Jeff Jackson, Ash Stratigraphy in the Cochetopa Caldera Moat, Cochetopa Park, Saguache County, Colorado.
Andrew Wood, Petrology of Miocene Lava Flows on Flat Top Mountain, Gunnison County, Colorado.
Alex Csar, Interfingering ash flow tuffs comprising Tenderfoot Hill; Gunnison County, Colorado.