This weekend is an opportunity for families and students to come together to take part in a variety of activities at Western State Colorado University. In addition, there will be numerous other activities planned by on-campus and community organizations including: free Wilderness Pursuit trips, athletic events, a pancake breakfast, music performances and much more. Please join us for all of these events!
There is no need to register for the weekend in advance, but some events do require pre-registration, which will open at the Family Weekend Welcome Table at noon on Friday, October 28 in the University Center. More events will be listed once details are confirmed; please check this web page again for a complete listing.
Friday, October 28
- Family Weekend Welcome Table and Excursions Sign-ups • Noon to 5 pm • University Center
There is no need to register for the weekend in advance, but we would like to meet you and say "Welcome to Western!" We will have information for you about Western State Colorado University and the Gunnison Valley and a complete schedule of events. You will also sign up here for activities that require pre-registration (Saturday's Wilderness Pursuits trips).
Leaving at 10:30 am from the Welcome Center
- Soccer-Western vs. New Mexico Highlands • 3 pm • Gateway Field
- Kincaid Concert Hall Dedication Concert • 7:30 pm • Quigley Concert Hall • Free Event!!!
Please join Music Department faculty and students for this free performance in the newly renovated Quigley Hall.
- LEAD & Program Council Evening Programming • 7:30 pm • University Center
- LEAD Office presents: Trivia • UC South Ballroom • Donations encouraged
- Canvas & Cocktails • UC North Ballroom • Space is limited and advanced registration is required, which will open at noon on Friday, Oct. 28 at the Family Weekend Welcome Table. There is also a $5 fee per participant to cover the cost of materials.
Participants under 21 are welcome to attend both Canvas & Cocktails and the Trivia. Alcoholic beverages will be available for purchase for individuals for anyone 21 and over.
Saturday, October 29
- Community Pancake Breakfast • 8 to 10 am • University Center • Free Event!!!
Start the busy day off with Western family and friends while enjoying a filling breakfast of homemade pancakes and live music. This is a great opportunity to meet Residence Life professional staff, the few people that see your student on a daily basis now that they are in college. Hosted by Student Affairs.
The Western Bookstore
The Western Bookstore will be open 8 am to 1 pm and after the football game until 5 pm.
The Western Bookstore
- Outdoor Adventures with Wilderness Pursuits • 9 am to Noon • Departs from the University Center • Free Event!!!
Get outside with Wilderness Pursuits, Western State Colorado University's own student-led outdoor program! Space is limited and these trips fill quickly, so reserve your space at the Family Weekend Welcome Table in the University Center, beginning at Noon on Friday, Oct. 16. Transportation and technical equipment will be provided. Please bring a snack, raincoat, warm clothes, water, sunscreen, comfortable (closed-toe) shoes, and of course, your camera.
… Hartman Rocks, Family-Rock Climbing
This trip will take you to a Gunnison’s outdoor enthusiast’s paradise, Hartman Rocks. This desert landscape offers the perfect environment for beginner and intermediate rock climbers.
… Bambi’s Trail, Scenic Hiking
This hike will be a three-mile round trip hike on a gentle trail. This is one of the most scenic areas at Hartman Rocks, providing excellent views of the Gunnison Valley.
… Hartman Rocks, Mountain Biking
This trip will introduce you to some of the best single-track riding in Colorado. Remember that we are at almost 8,000 feet, so you will need to be physically fit to enjoy this trip. Participants must be at least 5’4” to use a WP mountain bike.
… Taylor Canyon, Family-Rock Climbing
Explore the beauty of Taylor Canyon as you climb perfect crags across from the Taylor River. This location is great for beginners as well as the more advanced climber. (This trip will be from 9am to 2 pm.)
- The Empty Nest: A Syndrome, a Gift, or a Journey? • 10 am • University Center • Free Event!!!
Are you a recent empty nester, or soon to be one? The good news is that you are not alone and life without kids at home can be an amazing time of reconnection, discovery, and joy! Even though you may feel sad and lonely at times, the vast majority of empty-nesters are happier now than ever before! Dr. Melanie Hulbert, Associate Professor of Sociology, will share her research, insight, and stories to encourage you in this new stage of life. Join us after the Pancake Breakfast!
Leaving at 11 am from the Welcome Center
- Family Weekend Autumn Spooktacular Harvest Luncheon • 11 am - 1 pm • University Center Patio
Parents of students with meal plans receive a complimentary lunch.
- Football — Western Mountaineers vs. CSU Pueblo • 1 pm • Mountaineer Bowl
Football Game Admission Fees
Parents versus kids=HILARIOUS!!!!
Dueling Pianos will entertain you a special blend of hilarity, excitement and musical favorites for guests of all ages. Hosted by Program Council.
Sunday, October 30
Questions? Call the LEAD Office at 970.943.2469 or email Lauren Echevarria at email@example.com for more information about any of these events.
Football Game Admission Fees