VA Benefits FAQs

I want to use my GI Bill benefits at Western. Where do I start?

A step-by-step guide to applying to Western and receiving VA benefits is available here. Please contact the Office of Veterans Services for specific information or questions regarding your VA benefits.

Where is the Western Office of Veterans Services located?

The Office of Veterans Services is located in the Office of the Registrar, 300 Taylor Hall.

Will my military credits be counted toward a degree?

You must provide the Office of Admissions with a copy of your military transcript. The Office of the Registrar will then evaluate your credits. We strongly encourage you to send your military transcripts, as you will more than likely receive college credits for some, if not all, or your work.

How do I apply for Veterans benefits?

Once you are admitted to Western, contact the Western Office of Veterans Services.  First time benefit users of the Guard, Reserves, active duty members, Post 9/11 or Chapter 1607 should go to the GI Bill Web site, complete Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Benefits), submit it to the VA and bring a copy to our office. If you have used your veterans benefits before but are new to Western, then print and complete Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) and submit it to our office to transfer your benefits.

What other documents do I need to provide Western Office of Veteran Services?

You must provide a copy of your DD214 (Discharge form). Additionally, first-time reservists should provide a copy of their Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE).

How will my GI Bill affect other financial aid?

Because the Post-9/11 GI Bill lowers your financial need, it may make you ineligible for other types of financial aid. However, many students receive scholarships, grants, and aid in addition to their GI Bill benefits. For more information, please contact the Financial Aid office.

Does the GI Bill pay Western directly for my tuition and fees?

If you qualify for benefits under Chapter 30, Chapter 1606 or Chapter 1607, or Chapter 35, a monthly benefits check is deposited directly into your personal bank account, or issued directly to you. If you receive benefits under the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 Bill, the school is paid directly for tuition and fees. However, it is your responsibility to ensure payment is received in full by the Western Cashier’s Office by the tuition payment or deferment deadline. If payment has not been received by the deadline, we can make accommodations, but you need to contact us.

Do I have to certify my classes each semester? Do I have to be registered?

The Western Office of Veterans Services certifies your enrollment. To receive your benefits in a timely manner, it is important for you to register for the upcoming semester as soon as possible. It can take the Office of Veterans Affairs up to 10 weeks to process your benefit payment. We cannot control how long it will take the VA to process the request, so please plan accordingly for housing and living expenses for the first few months.

For Chapters 30, 1606 you must go onto the VA website and verify your enrollment hours through WAVE monthly.

What if I change my schedule after my enrollment certification has been submitted?

Students who decide to add/drop courses after the initial certification of enrollment has been submitted to the VA  for benefit distribution will need to contact the VA Certifying Official so updated information can be forwarded to the VA. This will likely result in a change of benefit, depending on how you adjust your schedule.

What if I change my benefit chapter or enrollment?

If you make changes in your enrollment or benefit chapter, you must notify the Western Office of Veterans Services immediately. Changes may delay your benefits payment.

Where do I go to determine the amount of benefits I have remaining?

Go to and click on the WAVE link.

How much will my monthly Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) payment be?

The Office of Veterans Services does not have any control or authority regarding your BAH payments, and we are not able to tell you exactly how much you will receive. However, you can get an idea of what your BAH payment might be by going to BAH Calculator on the GI Bill website.